Alyce clover and sunn hemp

BCPbuckhunter

Had to do a little plot cutting this weekend. This one was alyce clover, sunn hemp and iron and clay peas. Had a few peas left and the sunn hemp was being kept down to about two feet and the alyce clover was browsed down to 5 inches in part of the plot but sections of the alyce clover were 3 feet tall and the sunn hemp up to 7-8 feet so I wanted to mow it down some but not completely. I cut it down to about 18-24 inches. Nice and thick and not many weeds.

Attachments

• IMG_1862.JPG
    IMG_1862.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1863.JPG
    IMG_1863.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1864.JPG
    IMG_1864.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 89

shdw633

Looks real good. How long are you going to leave it up?

BCPbuckhunter

The plot looks great, I bet it is full of deer every evening!!
Thanks, I have to give credit to all that timely rain we have been getting. Luckily most all the plots turned out great this year. The deer were hammering our protein earlier this year and once the plots came up and started growing they backed off the protein. I had a camera on it that wasn't functioning right so I didn't get a whole lot of pics. They had to be on top of the camera. I swapped it out this weekend with another camera because I do have to mature bucks coming to it that I got on camera.

davidhelmly

Thanks, I have to give credit to all that timely rain we have been getting. Luckily most all the plots turned out great this year. The deer were hammering our protein earlier this year and once the plots came up and started growing they backed off the protein. I had a camera on it that wasn't functioning right so I didn't get a whole lot of pics. They had to be on top of the camera. I swapped it out this weekend with another camera because I do have to mature bucks coming to it that I got on camera.
That may be your early season honeyhole!!

BCPbuckhunter

That may be your early season honeyhole!!
I have another one right down from it that has several mature bucks using it in the daylight that I got a good bow blind brushed in right now. Just need the 8th to get here lol. This one probably won't get hunted at all. I just planted it for the nutrition.

southernman13

My hemp and ic peas look like just like that. That’s the first I’ve planted in this spot it grew really quick and I don’t see where the deer ate any of it really. Even the peas aren’t being touched really I mean it’s 5 acres but looks like no eat zone. I saw deer walking through it when it was much shorter. We have 70 acres or pnuts this year so that’s could be contributing not sure. I have another hemp plot that was hammered the last two years and it’s not had all that much action either. The 5 acre plot I mowed a few lanes about 2’ tall w skid steer and a few 15’ wide swaths as high as I could get my batwing mower. I’ll see how that does. Either way I’ll leave a few strips in each plot. Last year I did that and every evening the Deer went straight to it.

BCPbuckhunter

a good section of this plot has been kept just like this pic. I have several plots that are just alyce clover and aschymonene and they look like a lawn. the deer keep them mowed to about 4-5" high.

Attachments

• IMG_3137.JPG
    IMG_3137.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 26

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
And if you let it go to seed, it will reseed pretty well, the following year.