Another nut grass thread

fountain

I've been told that a chemical, Outrage, will control nut grass by getting into the nut and killing it. I cant seem to find much on it by searching. Has anyone here heard of it or by chance used it? I have a huge nut grass problem in my sunflower field and overall on my entire property. If possible, I would try the outrage now while the nut grass is still thriving and before frost.

doomtrpr_z71

No such thing, are you thinking about outlook? That's a pretty good chunk of change and it's a preemergent not a post.

fountain

Well, I couldnt find anything on it either. My buddy told me he had something that worked and I told him to send me the name of it. He sent me outrage. I cant find anything either, that's why I posted here. Guess I'll get him to send a pic of it today.

For outlook, tell me more about it. I'm in need of something bad. My entire sunflower field is nut grass this year and the other 4 acres sitting with it is just as bad. Its roughly a 12 acre spot..8 with for a dove field and 4 planted in oak trees. I would like to control it in the oaks too if possible. The hogs have been torturing me in that spot rooting it up really bad.
I'm sure I'm just spreading it when I harrow/plant and I'm looking for options

doomtrpr_z71

Outlook is a preemergent similar to dual magnum, its more of a suppressant, Spartan or spartan charge is a little better at suppressing nutsedge. You could do clear field sunflowers and use beyond but its not great on nutsedge.

fountain

Ok...2 scenarios here. I need a little help here..
#1. Sunflower field...will plant clearfileds... the common weed problems will be nut grass, coffee bean, ragweed and morning glory. At planting(early may) there wont be a lot of these weeds sprouted and active. What will be my pre-emergant? I've been using treflan and harrowingnit in as I spray. I will plant and then use cadre as needed.

#2. Oak tree plot. Will be planted with winter wheat and likely have half or more in clover as well. The common problems there are nut grass, coffee beans and morning glory. The main goal here is not to harm or kill the trees. What's my go to chemicals here for weed control? I've strongly considered spraying atrazine early on and taurus(for ants) for a pre-emerge... but not letting the atrazine on clover.

I know this started about nut grass..and still is the main enemy..but how bad off am I on my chemicals? I'm still learning as I go with this. I may not be able to beat the nut grass, but I sure wish I could at least put a dent in it in the bird field. I sure want it as clean and weed free as possible

doomtrpr_z71

I'd do Spartan or spartan charge for the soybean pre, oaks I'd do basagran, atrazine would not do anything to nutsedge.

fountain

Also you like spartan/charge over the treflan? I'll be honest, I havent seen much help from the treflan if anything. I've done it two years now with no noticeable differences in weed control after the sunflowers begin to pop up

Ihunt

I sprayed some MSMA on my nutgrass and it smoked it. Waiting to see if it comes back.

Any ideas?

doomtrpr_z71

Treflan is good for grasses not so much for broadleaf weeds, basagran should be fine on wheat. Sedgehammer/halosulfuron would be fine on the clover/wheat. MSMA will smoke the tops off but it will come back from the tuber.