Another year with empty tags

pch308

Well run many a bird this yr, but just could not get one to come in for the kill. Many great hunts with a couple of good friends so in the end I'm grateful for the time in the turkey woods. Both here and in Kentucky.
The picture below is from last Thursday. A friend and I went out for one last hunt as we both work weekends. Didn't hear a sound so when I began to rain we decided to leave it until next yr. When I got home and saw this pic I knew it was truly over, cause we were less than 200 yrds from this guy and he never made a sound. So this yr the Turkey's win and I go home with lots of good memories from great hunts, even with no kills, from the turkey woods and looking forward to next March so I can do it all again. I am turkey blessed for the life I have today and thank God everyday for that!

Attachments

• 1620909802383.jpg
    1620909802383.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 122

DynamicDennis

Same here, had an awesome season. My 13 year old daughter learned a lot about turkeys. And the more I turkey hunt the more I realize it is truly about the chase, not really killing one. I just wanna hear them gobble at me

DRBugman85

Well just think next year yall want have to worry about killing but 2, cause the power to be say there ain't no turkeys in Georgia to be kilt.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Well run many a bird this yr, but just could not get one to come in for the kill. Many great hunts with a couple of good friends so in the end I'm grateful for the time in the turkey woods. Both here and in Kentucky.
The picture below is from last Thursday. A friend and I went out for one last hunt as we both work weekends. Didn't hear a sound so when I began to rain we decided to leave it until next yr. When I got home and saw this pic I knew it was truly over, cause we were less than 200 yrds from this guy and he never made a sound. So this yr the Turkey's win and I go home with lots of good memories from great hunts, even with no kills, from the turkey woods and looking forward to next March so I can do it all again. I am turkey blessed for the life I have today and thank God everyday for that!
I can help y’all get turkeys into range. May have to practice calling also
Once he gets close a slate or box call and ever so gentle purr on it. Do it to where u think he can’t hear it. U can Yelp to or cluck. Gentlest u can. Remember this he then has u pinpointed to the tee if he gobbled to you. He knows the exact tree your at. Even if he can’t see it yet.
Now here’s the other thing that has helped me. Laff all u want.
I use a UV blocker and I use a flat black spray paint at time also.
Here is a pic of the blocker. I’ve used several kinds. They all work well. A black lite will tell u all u need to know what shines to them. I see deer closer to me also. I hunt from the ground a lot. 238E0774-C169-4D9A-BD5D-BF1F66065818.jpeg

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
My wife killed 3. But she cheats she uses a 30 yo push button I bought for 5 dollars. She got 2 in 2 days. Didn’t hunt til she got the other one weeks later.
Her trick is the very lite calling and she does use a hen decoy. She say the one they like is the off colored one. She also has a hurt shoulder and shot all them with one hand. Uses blinds. 020DFB6D-7F51-4AB5-9598-F9E7BD4BB16B.jpegB06C87DE-7DD9-410A-8608-F2BA0BFCD3DA.jpeg26DABA22-1E71-4EBD-B94C-CCD5B79E3FD6.jpeg

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Most detergents have UV brighteners today. I still just use arm & hammer backing soda for turkey wear. And deer.

johnnyk2000

I have a one that just sits on the shelf in the office because I am afraid to break it. It does not look as good as any of those though. That wife of yours has all kids of talent

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have a one that just sits on the shelf in the office because I am afraid to break it. It does not look as good as any of those though. That wife of yours has all kids of talent
I made one and she took to it. Has 4 more wings to get done up.
Mine sounds alsome. Easy to use.( the one she made me)
A old friend of mine. That’s all he used. He was the man with a wingbone.

pch308

I can help y’all get turkeys into range. May have to practice calling also
Once he gets close a slate or box call and ever so gentle purr on it. Do it to where u think he can’t hear it. U can Yelp to or cluck. Gentlest u can. Remember this he then has u pinpointed to the tee if he gobbled to you. He knows the exact tree your at. Even if he can’t see it yet.
Now here’s the other thing that has helped me. Laff all u want.
I use a UV blocker and I use a flat black spray paint at time also.
Here is a pic of the blocker. I’ve used several kinds. They all work well. A black lite will tell u all u need to know what shines to them. I see deer closer to me also. I hunt from the ground a lot. View attachment 1081145
Thanks for the info but I wear a hecs suit and wash everything in UV blocker. But doing this awhile and they would not come in. The last one stayed around 3 hrs but he was never coming any closer. Walked out the way he came in, gobbling mist of the way.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Thanks for the info but I wear a hecs suit and wash everything in UV blocker. But doing this awhile and they would not come in. The last one stayed around 3 hrs but he was never coming any closer. Walked out the way he came in, gobbling mist of the way.
I may need to get a hex suit. ?

Darkhorse

I know it's a big joke "no turkeys in Georgia..."
How about "no turkeys anywhere in my area"
So this was the first year in many I didn't fill a tag. And the prospects for next year are bleak. I did not see a turkey. I did not hear a turkey. I did not see any sign that turkeys were ever on my property. No tracks, feathers, dusting spots or scratchings.
No, the future doesn't look good at all.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
This gobbler that was there for 3 hours.. could you see him or do you think he could see where you were at?
One think that sometimes gets those hung gobblers like that, (when you strongly think they cant see where you're at), is just move 50 to 100 yards right or left. Hide good and start callin to him again. If he gobbles like crazy but still won't come in then move up towards the side of his hung up spot, hide good again and start callin to him.
I used to sit tight on hung up birds gobblin their heads off and like you said, most of the time they just gobble as they leave. I learned most birds acting like this never come in no matter what. So I started switching angles on them and trying to make it more conveinient for him to come check me out. Some times it works sometimes it don't but it's usually a bird I would have not gotten anyway so it's worth a try and it up the odds to like 40/60 or something. Rather that 2/98. Just throwin that out there, something I like to do. If you've already been tryin it then you already know what I'm sayin. If not maybe try it sometime on a hung up gobblin bird.

pch308

This gobbler that was there for 3 hours.. could you see him or do you think he could see where you were at?
One think that sometimes gets those hung gobblers like that, (when you strongly think they cant see where you're at), is just move 50 to 100 yards right or left. Hide good and start callin to him again. If he gobbles like crazy but still won't come in then move up towards the side of his hung up spot, hide good again and start callin to him.
I used to sit tight on hung up birds gobblin their heads off and like you said, most of the time they just gobble as they leave. I learned most birds acting like this never come in no matter what. So I started switching angles on them and trying to make it more conveinient for him to come check me out. Some times it works sometimes it don't but it's usually a bird I would have not gotten anyway so it's worth a try and it up the odds to like 40/60 or something. Rather that 2/98. Just throwin that out there, something I like to do. If you've already been tryin it then you already know what I'm sayin. If not maybe try it sometime on a hung up gobblin bird.
Thx for the info but I was in a blind and pretty he could not see me. I could move cause the leaves were so dry it would have been like walking on potato chips. **** he even gobbled when I would rack through them. The pic I posted was from today's later, and he never made a sound. If he lives maybe next spring?