Anvil head fixed up my old case knife!

Longhunter89

I posted a thread a while back asking about changing out a leather stack handle on my old case hunter with a wooden handle. Anvil head messaged me and we agreed to do a trade for some calls I make. Below is a before and after picture of knife. He changed out the stacked leather washer handle for a black locust handle. He even made me a new sheath! He did a great job and went over and beyond. The new handle fits the hand very well. I hope to put it to use on some deer and hogs. If anyone is looking for a knife give him a look he does great work.
Now to get busy turning him some calls this morning!
20220527_200248.jpg20220706_155018.jpg20220706_155024.jpg20220706_155030.jpg

Anvil Head

The biggest challenge was removing the original pommel. Instead of being threaded or pinned on, it was cast in place. How Case did that without scorching the spacer material would be something to learn. Wound up cutting it off adding some threaded rod and making one out of aluminum bar stock. All good as it needed to be extended a bit for a more comfortable handle length.

Never could figure out why Case put "short" handles on their fixed blade sheath knives. Marbles were even worse. Still, a good "user" designed blade. The sheath was a copy of the original used as a pattern. I kind of like the design and will be using a modified version on some future blades of my own. Maybe with a little tooling for bling. The wrap and snap holds the knife securely without having a tab protruding to catch on brush and clothes, but is easily cleared when drawing the knife for use.

Had fun with the project and am looking forward to harassing tree rats and yotes with my new calls.

wvdawg

Staff member
New life - great work!

Man that’s awesome ! Love the new look of that knife well done to you gents. Excellent wood working as well

Anvil Head

I'm just waiting for cooler weather to put them to work.
Squeaked up a yote the other night behind my forging shed. He made it back across the construction site out back with one of my cross bow darts in his ribs. Must of hit bone so did not pass through. Surrounded by SD's so I think he'll stay to the little strip of woods. (I'll find it eventually)