Any New Tricks for them Ol Toms this year?

NUTT

Anybody pull a new tactic, call etc. out this year and have success?
I hunted specifically with a wingbone yelper from Mr. Sharpe because I've always wanted to master the wingbone due to the tone. Still aint mastered it but it did a number on several. Never thought I would leave the Woodhaven Comp Hornet in the fridge!

QuackAttack101

Never had much luck or confidence in hunting late season. But I had more GA action in May this year than I did in March and April combined. Still didn't kill one in GA, but may was quite noisy and exciting for me. Won't be writing off that late season hunt quite as easily now

GADawg08

Never had much luck or confidence in hunting late season. But I had more GA action in May this year than I did in March and April combined. Still didn't kill one in GA, but may was quite noisy and exciting for me. Won't be writing off that late season hunt quite as easily now

yep....me too! They were fired up the last two weeks of the season for me. As for new tactics, I did a lot more gobbling back at birds this year and had 3 birds come in that I dont think would have otherwise....and all three of them happened to be for a buddy of mine

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I've never been able to hunt when birds aren't gobbling. I just dont have the patience. If I don't hear em I just leave and go do somthing else. All my huntin spots are heavy wooded.
But this year on my Tennessee hunt. I hunted horse and cow farms. I was able to see and watch birds that did not gobble. Some of them never gobbled but I could watch them strut for the hens or eat out of the fields with hens and other gobblers. Eventually with good positioning and calling I could witness a gobbler decide to come check me out and get shot.
It was really cool and new for me. It makes me wonder how many birds over the years have been just outta sight and not gobbling and I say "awww the heck with it I gotta go fix the lawnmower", when those gobblers may have been moments away from coming into view.
Thats my new thing for this year

QuackAttack101

It makes me wonder how many birds over the years have been just outta sight and not gobbling and I say "awww the heck with it I gotta go fix the lawnmower", when those gobblers may have been moments away from coming into view.

I wonder this every time I move from a spot where I have previously been calling. I'm sure I've missed out on quite a few like this over the years.

Bubba_1122

Not sure I have a lot of tips or tricks, but I'm just 6 years into this turkey hunting addiction, so every season is very much a learning experience for me.

I continued to learn the value of patience. I was destined to be sloppy seconds for every gobbler I encountered in 2016. No fly down birds, but birds that are looking for more fun (watched my last bird on May 14 mate with a hen in a field and then come to me looking for more just a few minutes later).

I continue to learn in 2016 that less is more with calling. This year I pretty much tried to just talk less and talk sweet rather than being overly aggressive (mostly purrs, clucks and gentle yelps with a Pecker Wrecker slate). It was pretty effective.

Shot a new (to me) 20 gauge 870 shooting #9 TSS shells this year. First time for TSS. I'm a believer. First time loading my own shells. It's mighty deadly on gobblers once you get the shells and choke right (and for my gun that's a Tightwad choke). Will definitely have those in my gun next year.

For how I'm wired killing birds with shells you hand loaded is pretty cool.

I learned that you can have as much fun late in the season as early if you play it right and stay focused. Learned to just keep hunting to the end because, while they might not be gobbling like they were earlier, the birds are still around and they're still pretty much driven by the same things that drove them a few weeks earlier.

Flaustin1

Learned to gobble with a mouth call. It sealed the deal on an old, educated bird.

NUTT

Somebody else mentioned this gobbling trick. Might check this one out for next year!

turkeykirk

Not a new trick but an observation. Need to find some hunting land with more than one gobbler on it.

Jody Hawk

I pulled a trick on em all right, a 20 gauge loaded with tss! I hope I never carry a 12 gauge in the turkey woods ever again.