Any protein shake enthusiasts out there???

Louie B

Something dear to my heart LOL.... A few months ago I found out I had Charcoe Marie Tooth Disease (CMT) and without a cure the best solution to a long healthy life is diet/exercise. So, I've been re-arranging my lifestyle with diet and getting back in the gym 4-5 days per week. My Doctor recommended that I start an all Organic and Gluten Free diet and intake 125-150g's of lean protein per day. Fishing and being on the water some days for 8-10hrs makes this tough so with doc's supervision I've been supplementing some meals and after workouts with protein shakes/smoothies.

I've always known it's hard to find a good protein smoothie you can make at home without a ton of cheap carbs and calories but I think after some trial and error, I've found the right combo and thought I'd share it with those interested.

Earth Fare Soy Protein Powder "Unsweetened Vanilla" has 0 Carbs and only 100 Calories. It has little to no taste, just powdery texture like everything else. No artificial colors, sweeteners or preservatives. It was $12 for around 20 servings.

I'm mixing w/ Jamba All Natural Smoothies and 8oz of Skim Milk and ice. The Jamba mix comes in 4 flavors, my favorite has been Strawberry/Banana but I've liked the others as well.

All in all when adding the Jamba mix and Skim Milk I'm getting approx 40g's of Protein, only 15 carbs, and 140 calories, per smoothie. No Gluten, artificial flavors, preservatives, etc, etc....

Best part is it taste great and the texture turns out perfect everytime. Anybody else have a favorite brand or recipe? I'm open to try something new, just can't be packed with artificial sweeteners and hormones, etc.

LB

Fishlipps Revisited

no nutritional help here, but, i hate to hear you're having health issues at your age....i truly hope you get the best of it.....and, you seem to have a postitive attitude.....when you've beaten yourself up like i have for over 30 years, it's understandable....

and, even better, let's hope they find a cure....i did some reading on it......

Louie B

no nutritional help here, but, i hate to hear you're having health issues at your age....i truly hope you get the best of it.....and, you seem to have a postitive attitude.....when you've beaten yourself up like i have for over 30 years, it's understandable....

and, even better, let's hope they find a cure....i did some reading on it......

Thanks for the kind words. I've known for some time I had a problem but thought b/c of my background (boxing) I had arthritis. I'm in good shape mentally so no worries there. I'm actually enjoying the challenge of getting back in shape and eating healthier. I was once a gym rat and have always enjoyed lifting, now it will just be a way of life.

Thanks again.

LB

Chris S.

Hate to hear that L.B. good luck with your diet and hope it helps with the treatment /healing.......For a smoothie i like a peanut butter,honey and banana.Plenty of protien in pb and honey is good for the body as well as bananas.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Try the "Oh Yeah" Vanilla Creme mix. Take and put 2 scoops in a 32oz cup and mix with 0%-2% milk. Throw it in the freezer and let it start freezing 15 mins or so, stir it up and put back in the freezer for another 15 mins or so. Take it out and enjoy, tastes like vanilla ice cream thats good for you. I have been doing this for breakfast at the fire station for the past couple of weeks. I love that stuff....mmmm good:fine:

LanierSpots

Louie, the syntha 6 shakes are very good. Good clean protein. I also have had good results from the ZERO carb shakes from VPX

In a pinch, the Muscle Milk light are not bad either...

BCAPES

Sorry to hear that...

First, sorry to hear about your health issues. That is a pain.

Being a board certified health instructor, I have learned that over the counter proteins can be less digestible than all-natural ones. It is referred to as bioavailability. Bioavailability, in this case, refers to the amount of protein that is absorbed into your system and utilized versus the amount that you take in. Very few credible studies have been done to show the bioavailability rates of over the counter powders and drinks. I feel that staying all-natural is safest. Just my .02

I have toyed around with different ideas to save money on protein shakes. I have one after doing the P90X workouts and here is what I have found works well if money is an issue:

4 liquid egg whites(you cannot taste them) - use an egg seperator to remove the yolk as it contains all the fat and cholesterol. The whites are a very pure form of protein.
3-4 cups skim milk
2 tablespoons of Nestle Quick (optional)
1-2 cups of frozen blueberries
1 cup frozen mango
3 tablespoons of ground flax seed

Of course you can add or take away from the above to suit your taste.

Blend it together and enjoy

Last edited:

Louie B

First, sorry to hear about your health issues. That is a pain.

Being a board certified health instructor, I have learned that over the counter proteins can be less digestible than all-natural ones. It is referred to as bioavailability. Bioavailability, in this case, refers to the amount of protein that is absorbed into your system and utilized versus the amount that you take in. Very few credible studies have been done to show the bioavailability rates of over the counter powders and drinks. I feel that staying all-natural is safest. Just my .02

I have toyed around with different ideas to save money on protein shakes. I have one after doing the P90X workouts and here is what I have found works well if money is an issue:

4 liquid egg whites(you cannot taste them) - use an egg seperator to remove the yolk as it contains all the fat and cholesterol. The whites are a very pure form of protein.
3-4 cups skim milk
2 tablespoons of Nestle Quick (optional)
1-2 cups of frozen blueberries
1 cup frozen mango
3 tablespoons of ground flax seed

Of course you can add or take away from the above to suit your taste.

Blend it together and enjoy

Thanks for the info. I agree that natural is better and I've experimented with a few different blends similar to yours above. Thanks again.

<LB

Louie B

Louie, the syntha 6 shakes are very good. Good clean protein. I also have had good results from the ZERO carb shakes from VPX

In a pinch, the Muscle Milk light are not bad either...

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'm definitely looking into all options. I'm really happy with the taste/ease of what I'm using now but I'm always looking for better.

LB

Cletus T.

I heard that if you eat a 2-3 pound spotted bass straight out of the water (fresh kill) that it would cure all the aliments!!!! And I'm talking about from head to fin....the whole spot is what you have to eat!!!!!

J/K of course and it takes a lot of courage to come on a forum like this and disclose what you did but you are treating it the way it should be treated and you have a GREAT outlook on it too LB.

Sorry to be silly on a serious subject like this but I know you will attack this thing just like you do those Carters spots so if you ever need anything from me.....justy shout it and I'll be there!!!

Thank you for what you do for this board. You mean a lot to the GON community and for the great sport of fishing!!!

Spinnerbaits

Dymatize makes the best protein powder, followed by Optimum Nutrition. They both make different varieties depending on what your goals are, like low carb, no carb, high carb, etc. The best deals on both can be found at muscleandstrength.com
Stay clear of EAS and Muscle Milk. This stuff is bad news.

Last edited:

Jasper

LB,

Sure sorry to hear about your health issue but I love your attitude......being mentally positive is a huge part of the battle. Prayers sent for you brother!

Don't forget the protein pancake recipe in my Fishin Nutrition article.........I'm still eatin em every day! :cheers:

Model70

Muscle milk

I buy muscle milk powder from massnutrition.com. Mix it with almond milk and a banana in the blender...

I also will put the powder in a GNC shaker bottle. put the almond milk in the cooler. That way you mix on the water .. I have also tried the syntha 6, but like the muscle milk better

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Was a staple during years of weight training. Good stuff.

crappieking

Louie, I know it is tough. The Dr put me on a strict diet too. Exercise is to follow. It may not be fun but if it will keep us out on the lake we do what we have to. I hope it goes well for you. I have already lost 18lbs!!

LanierSpots

I buy muscle milk powder from massnutrition.com. Mix it with almond milk and a banana in the blender...

I also will put the powder in a GNC shaker bottle. put the almond milk in the cooler. That way you mix on the water .. I have also tried the syntha 6, but like the muscle milk better

If you want to try a good blender mix, try two scoops of vanilla protein powder. I use VPX Zero Carb. Put in frozen banana and some frozen blueberries. Add ice and either almond milk or just water. I use water most of the time.

Blend.... Nice smoothy for breakfast or after workout shake...

Latest posts