Anyone catching crappie?

RamblinWreck

I was doing what I call spot and stalk fishing (with PLS) on a lake near me, where water is still cold and they are about halfway back in the creek, suspended. Quality, not quantity is my thing right now. I only caught 9 crappie, but 4 were over 2 lbs. Nothing to top my PB from last month. Yet.
Here is a 16 incher 2.1 lbs caught on hand-tied blue/chart 1/16 oz jig.
2lbcrappie030521.jpg

Fletch_W

Banned
I got skunked today but it wasn't from a lack of drinking beer. Another guy out fishing his dock ( best fishing dock in the lake) also skunked.

Bluebird day, super clear water, tough. I probably should get some downsized microjigs or even some flies to dropshot on days like that.

Last edited:

Fletch_W

Banned
Based on the lack of updates to this thread today, I'm assuming everyone else failed too, which warms my heart.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Based on the lack of updates to this thread today, I'm assuming everyone else failed too, which warms my heart.

I have been working everyday for the week and a half. :banginghe

waderjon

I hope they are biting this coming weekend. Its going to be my first opportunity to go this year.

tjchurch

I fished Eufaula Saturday and Sunday till lunch. Kept 71.

Attachments

• 6261FA4E-1447-40E9-AF12-D1ECB269F874.jpeg
    6261FA4E-1447-40E9-AF12-D1ECB269F874.jpeg
    410.5 KB · Views: 28

RamblinWreck

Nothing post-worthy today except this welcome by-catch; 11" and 1.1 lbs! First 'cracker of 2021. Hit a gray hand-tie with a crappie nibble on it. At first I thought I had my 3+ lb crappie. You better believe I marked a waypoint.
crack080321.jpg

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Nothing post-worthy today except this welcome by-catch; 11" and 1.1 lbs! First 'cracker of 2021. Hit a gray hand-tie with a crappie nibble on it. At first I thought I had my 3+ lb crappie. You better believe I marked a waypoint.
View attachment 1070834
Now you're talking,two of them,a dozen hushpuppies,and some coleslaw and suppertime.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
View attachment 1070834
I’d rather catch big bream over big crappie everyday. Nice cracker

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Fellow fishing Seminole said they are in 20 feet of water out near the channel. Gators are out everywhere I looked today

Attachments

• Gatorsem.jpg
    Gatorsem.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 48

RamblinWreck

Quality not quantity again today: Went to Lathem 10-2, and my little gray hand-tie jig (with chart Berkley nibble) tore the slabs up. It has been tough fishing there so far, a couple here, a couple there, not much pattern - until today - when I located a bunch hanging out on a flat off a long main lake point in 10'-20' of water. Water temp 52F. They started out close to shore in about 10', then gradually moved deeper as time went by. I caught about 15, none under 12", most around 14". Biggest was 1.79 lbs, 15-3/4". Not a dink to be found among them, which is unusual, but happens to me often on this lake. For a while it was a slab on every cast. They finally got wise and clammed up, sore mouths all around. I couldn't stay long and had to go, but I'll be back in the morning.

I only kept one (I have a lot in the freezer to eat yet) to check eggs, and for a solo dinner tonight of fresh fried crappie, 'taters and onions, and maybe a salad. Maybe not.

EDIT: fish was slap full of eggs, still a little bloody.

c15_34_Lat100321.jpgcjig1.jpg

Last edited:

the Lackster

Caught a few on hartwell yesterday. One solid fish. Most bites come from blow downs in 8-12 ft of water. White jighead with white baby shad tipped with green fireballs. Slow twitch retrieval about 3ft under a cork.20210313_165540.jpg

Fletch_W

Banned
I improved my beer to crappie ratio today finishing with six crappie on 4 beers. Throw in two bass and total fish to beer ratio was 2-1 which is success in my book.

Live minnows under cork. Fish were scattered, unable to pattern them.

Gwinnett pond.

fE31PQR.jpg

ilbcnu

Son went to blackshear yesterday, caught around 30 all males and under 10' should be heating up any day now. Expect eufala to get right this week and on fire next week into may