Anyone Drink Rolling Rock Beer?

Redbow

My BIL was down with us a couple of weeks ago From Virginia he bought some Rolling Rock beer while he was here. I don't often drink anything with alcohol and there is something in beer that does not agree with my stomach but I drank a RR and it was okay. It wasn't as bitter as some other brands of beer and rather smooth to my taste.

To my amazement my Wife told me her Granny on her Dad's side used to occasionally drink RR beer as well in the hot summertime after doing her garden work.

I can drink Miller beer but the RR is much better IMO. I still have a couple of left over bottles of it in the fridge. I might quench my thirst with those after a few days.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I thinking it is a regional beer from the VA, PA, Ohio area but could be wrong.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I won a mini-keg of it as a door prize at some kind of thing a few years ago. It was ok.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Use to snag a few of my grandfather's pony bottles and hike up the mountain to drink them when I was a young'n. Me and a buddy of mine would do that every once in awhile. My grandfather knew it but never said anything because we didn't take but a few at a time. It's made in Latrobe PA. I haven't had any in a very long time.

Geffellz18

Been a long time, but have had it before-Very light & crisp if I recall. Decent beer.
I recall going back for more a few times.

earlthegoat2

My wife used to drink it a lot before she found Yeungling.

I recall it being very good for hydration and should probably be on the shelf next to Pellegrino.

Redbow

M BIL sometimes when he visits us buys Yeungling beer but I don't care that much for it. Not that its bad beer but it just doesn't agree with my stomach. And most beers will give me that old feeling that my stomach doesn't agree with what I just put into it but Miller and Rolling Rock doesn't do that to me. It will always be a mystery I guess why some beers makes me feel that way.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Popular beer in Ohio, drank a bit when younger.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Two other beer labels made in Latrobe PA are Iron City Beer and OldeFrothingslosh. Always wondered if they were the same beer just labeled differently.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Been a minute, but used to buy a case of the little 7-oz bottles every so often...oh wait...that might have been Little Kings....

BassRaider

Back in my early 20's, I was living in upstate NY repairing/painting a house. Across the street was a bar that I spent a lot of time in. The main beers they served was RR, Munich, & Schaefer at $.20 on tap.

Artfuldodger

I drunk it a few times when stationed in Maryland. Later in the 90's it became popular with the younger crowd looking for cheap beer such as Pabst. It was popular to buy a bucket of 6 Rolling Rocks in Augusta in the 90's. Later the college kids switched to Natty Lights. In relation to the younger crowd drinking "working class beer" or their grandfather's beer, Yuengling became popular when it was released to a wider area. I gave my dad one and he said that was the worse beer he had ever drank, lol.
Reading this;
When Anheuser-Busch bought the company in 2006, they closed the Latrobe brewery, and Rolling Rock became a watery, biteless product indistinguishable from the other innocuous lagers that dominate the US market.
Maybe before 2006, it tasted better?

Artfuldodger

The thing about a lot of these older beer brands is that when AB or Pabst buy them, they sometimes change the way they were once made and therefore taste different.
I was reading about one I liked in the 70's called Old Style from La Crosse, Wisconsin. It was bought by Stroh's at one time but now owned by Pabst. It used a carbonation process called krausening where it was naturally carbonated like most home brew.
When Pabst bought it they just artificially carbonate it like most other beers and some say it don't taste as good. The krausening double fermentation process takes longer and is thought to give the beer a better taste.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Never had any of the three mentioned myself. But remember the ads around Christmas time for OldeFlothingslosh for the beer with the foam on the bottom. Believe my Dad bought one just to see if it was true.

ilbcnu

Been a minute, but used to buy a case of the little 7-oz bottles every so often...oh wait...that might have been Little Kings....
Yes. Those little kings ales are delicious but scarce as hens teeth. Ohio is one of the only places left that sells them. I believe there is now a limit of 1 case per person

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Never had it but Grolsch says hold me(my beer) in my mind. I couldn’t even attempt to drink a second swig when I tried it, and I’ve drank some pretty bad stuff beer wise. It takes the prize for me.
You are right there, I couldn't finish one.

Lilly001

When I was a young pup in south central Pa I drank all of those fine beverages. Whatever was cheapest.