Anyone else.....

devolve

Zero gobbles until this morning and he’s across the swamp from me. He was on the move towards me but he shut up on the other side of the swamp. He prolly ain’t coming but when they aren’t gobbling you work the setup you got.
First bird last year did that. I gave him an hour after he went silent. I was about to get up and that old guy had circled around me. Came out in full strut silent. He took a #4 at 11 steps!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve been 6 mornings and have heard turkeys gobble every morning but last Sunday . Only a few times on the roost though , besides 8 Jakes that gobbled and strutted for a hour opening morning.

devolve

I’m to the point where I would just about pay to hear a gobble. Never in over 30 years of hunting these birds have I seen the non-breeding activity as I am seeing this year.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Just because you don’t hear a gobble. Don’t mean they ain’t breeding or searching to breed. Most gobblers know where the hen site is where they nest. hens can make the quietest sounds and gobblers can hear them while feeding.
Oops ?
Sorry guys I forgot again. My bad. ?
Yea they ain’t breeding. Guess on my time off I’ll just do things around the house. ?

devolve

Just because you don’t hear a gobble. Don’t mean they ain’t breeding or searching to breed.

I think most people are aware of that. What I’m seeing is gobblers feeding like it’s January. 13 years on this same property and I’ve never seen them act this way past February. I guarantee they are and have been breeding. just not fired up like normal.

Oops ?
Sorry guys I forgot again. My bad. ?
Yea they ain’t breeding. Guess on my time off I’ll just do things around the house. ?

Yet another post that lets you live up to your nickname. ??

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I think most people are aware of that. What I’m seeing is gobblers feeding like it’s January. 13 years on this same property and I’ve never seen them act this way past February. I guarantee they are and have been breeding. just not fired up like normal.

Yet another post that lets you live up to your nickname. ??
well usually after I give some advice someone else comes along and post that above info.
They will go back to gobbling in time. Then quit again. Then after may 15 they will gobble some more. It comes in cycles. the hens are laying eggs til they get 10 to 12 on average. most in areas start sitting same time about and hatch same time. 2 or 3 hens team up sometimes to help watch for danger.
But generally speaking I’ve always seen cycles where they gobble then go silent. they have to eat mid day line anything else.
A lot of times I’ve notice a gobbler when hens are sitting will go to the same spot every morning and gobble. They pick a spot they can see.
Old timers I’ve heard say the pollen in the spring that week will make them go silent. But I don’t know.

Timber1

BANNED
well usually after I give some advice someone else comes along and post that above info.
They will go back to gobbling in time. Then quit again. Then after may 15 they will gobble some more. It comes in cycles. the hens are laying eggs til they get 10 to 12 on average. most in areas start sitting same time about and hatch same time. 2 or 3 hens team up sometimes to help watch for danger.
But generally speaking I’ve always seen cycles where they gobble then go silent. they have to eat mid day line anything else.
A lot of times I’ve notice a gobbler when hens are sitting will go to the same spot every morning and gobble. They pick a spot they can see.
Old timers I’ve heard say the pollen in the spring that week will make them go silent. But I don’t know.
You can't let them see boot tracks in the mud or they go silent too. And toilet paper. Make sure to bury it so they won't notice your scat.

buckpasser

You can't let them see boot tracks in the mud or they go silent too. And toilet paper. Make sure to bury it so they won't notice your scat.

That’s no problem for me. I’m always poaching so there are never any boot tracks or TP, unless the rightful hunters show up, which case I’ll let them know they’re messing up my hunting.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
And all this time I thought it was because I ran at them when they where gobbling. Wide open shooting.

Latest posts