Anyone ever had a thumb release slip out of their hand?

bukhuntr

I had this happen in Nov 14 and it happened again last night. Both times it was the first shot of my session.

I drew back last night, anchored, settled the pin and was just about to rest my thumb on the trigger when it slipped out. Who knows where the arrow went, release smacked off the back of my riser and flew back over my head.

It put a good dent in my aluminum riser, but my cables appear to be ok.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? I'm thinking I relaxed my hand a little to much combined with the aggressive cam on my Defiant Turbo jumping at just the right time. I don't think I was anticipating the shot at all.

So I now have some serious trust issues with my handheld release. I really really don't want to go back to wrist release. I had really made huge strides over the last couple months with shot execution.

alligood729

You might can find a wrist strap that will attach to your release. Truball has several models that will do that. You can still shoot the release as you always do, the strap will eliminate any slips....

660griz

Yep. Happened to me twice. After a long range session, tired and trying not to put a death grip on the release. First time, I had a hard time finding my release. It was camo. :)
So, I put a strap on it. Then, I went back to a wrist release for stalking.

bukhuntr

I was considering the wrist strap add on. I have a scott exxus and don't see how it would attach.

The first time it happened to me I was in Kansas for my first ever out of state hunt. Went out to take a few shots before hunting that afternoon. When it happened I thought my bow blew up then I realized my release wasn't in my hand. Took me a couple of minutes to find my release in the grass. Luckily my arrow rest wasn't damaged. Talk about letting the air out of a balloon. My confidence was shot.

deadbox

Had it happen a couple times myself (not hunting) . But I don't worry about it or let it affect me. It's not likely to happen continually if it does then your doing something wrong. But as mentioned get the strap attachment and problem solved 100%.

bukhuntr

Yep, just gotta block that out. I figure I've shot around 25,000 arrows over the last three years and had it happen twice. Good to know I'm not the only one its happened to.

Had it happen a couple times myself (not hunting) . But I don't worry about it or let it affect me. It's not likely to happen continually if it does then your doing something wrong. But as mentioned get the strap attachment and problem solved 100%.

davidhelmly

I had a buddy of mine that hunts with us do it a couple of weeks ago. His stayed on the string and came back and hit him, he got quite a few stitches in his upper lip and is now missing 2 front teeth! ?

bowhunterdavid

I had a buddy of mine that hunts with us do it a couple of weeks ago. His stayed on the string and came back and hit him, he got quite a few stitches in his upper lip and is now missing 2 front teeth! ��

Wow that's not good, I will stick with my old scott little goose, I guess im still old school about a few things.

bukhuntr

I had a buddy of mine that hunts with us do it a couple of weeks ago. His stayed on the string and came back and hit him, he got quite a few stitches in his upper lip and is now missing 2 front teeth! ?

Mine stayed on the string also until it smacked off my riser and flew back over my head. Based on the dent it put in the riser, teeth would have been flying.

Kris87

Wow that's not good, I will stick with my old scott little goose, I guess im still old school about a few things.

I've tried many a releases over the years but the little goose is the one I shoot best with.

Bo D

Been shootin a Carters Just B Cuz for about 8-9 years and never once yet.
Yall might need a gym membership to beef up a little lol.....j/k folks!
Thumb releases are excellent the accuracy is unbeleivable compared to my old scottys mini goose that l use to love. But that being said l also didnt just grab one and go hunting with it. I shot at the house over a year with it practicing before l really got it.
Good Luck

Last edited:

Bubba_1122

Have had it happen twice - both while practicing in my back yard.

First time the TruBall Pro Diamond Extreme release disappeared along with the arrow. No clue where it went (there are woods into river bottom behind my house where I was shooting. Pretty thick).

Bought a new TruBall. Several months later the original TruBall showed up on my porch. I assume one of my labs found it and fetched it up to the porch. No worse for the wear (squirted a little oil in it to make sure ok). Now have a backup. :fine:

Second time it hit my hand after it ricocheted. Hurt mighty bad for a while. Release landed out in the yard. Arrow (FMJ) destructed when it hit a concrete wall.

I have a wrist strap for the TruBall now.

Last edited:

cookie1969

Had it happen one time during a 3d tournament. Zero for that target but just glad the arrow and release went down range and no one was hurt. I've been shooting for close to 30 years and that is the only time one has slipped away from me. Definitely a surprise you don't want to happen.