Stupid Accident

Stainlessman

My nephew asked me for a hand putting out a new ladder tree stand he had bought.
I'm not sure the brand but plenty heavy.
He's a brick Mason and has arms like Popeye and carried the assembled stand most of the way back into the woods. Up hill and down and back up. Waste high growth of brush ferns pine trees from the land being selective cut about five yrs ago. Everything wet from rain overnight so I was soaked.
We finally got back to the deer trail where he wanted to sit it up. At least 100 yards plus off the road. Plenty of tall straight oaks to sit up on.
The ladder sections were still zip tied to top section of the ladder. He dropped the stand and started looking for the tree to hook it to.
I took out my pocket knife a very small two blade buck knife that's not to Sharpe.
Flipped out the longer skinny blade and started cutting off the zip ties.
There were like 8 total and the last one at the top I started to cut with my dull knife.
Finally the tie popped and I was holding the stand with my left hand cutting with my right hand and stabbed my wrist....
For twenty yrs I've taken a baby aspirin every day as I carry 50 extra lbs and assume it prevents heart attacks.
The blood squirted from my wrist like a stream. I grabbed my wrist and thumb on the puncher hole headed out back to the road.
Stopped about half way.
Uncovered it. The bleeding was minimal and slowed up. My nephew cut off his shirt arm and tied it and I headed home.
A stupid Accident on my part. But when I get even a small cut no matter how small I bleed like crazy.
I'm gonna ask my Dr in September if the aspirin a day is really beneficial or not.
At home washed it with dial soap, the germX. Then a bandaid. I hope no infection sets in in the next day or so.

Big7

The Oracle
Sorry to hear about the mishap BUT you should not be doing aspirin therapy as a self diagnosis/self medication unless your Doctor, preferably a Cardiologist put you on them.

That is a very dangerous thing to do if you are not a candidate for aspirin therapy.

Just a friendly FYI.

Hillbilly stalker

I always carry a sharp knife.
I also carry two larger band aids in my wallet.

Glad your okay. (y)

DannyW

I am on Eliquis so I know all too well about leakage from the smallest of scratches ! Not to mention bruises !

I'm on blood thinner and aspirin. I walk around looking like someone beat me up, the slightest little bump into something leaves a bruise.

I've heard it said that aspirin is a powerful medicine, and if it were to be invented today, it would be a prescription only drug.

A friend of mine took one Goody's every day for a long time. His wife came home to find him passed out on the floor. Rushed him to the hospital and the Doctor said he would have bled out in another hour due to the hole Goody's had eaten into his stomach.

Be careful self-medicating with aspirin.

alphachief

I’ve done so many dumb things to hurt myself over the course of my life that I’d need my own “Stupid Alphachief Mishaps Forum” to list them all. Most involved a dirt bike or beer…or both.

Dub

I’ve done so many dumb things to hurt myself over the course of my life that I’d need my own “Stupid Alphachief Mishaps Forum” to list them all. Most involved a dirt bike or beer…or both.

I can also write up a few chapters on my own injuries that occurred when sipping, chugging or slamming down shots with cold beer. :banginghe

Quit drinking in February 2019 and the injuries mysteriously stopped occurring....just dealing with the aftermath of them right on. :rofl:

I'm sorta dumb....but tough.

ryanh487

Regular aspirin can cause stomach ulcers, if a doctor didn't tell you it's saving your life I wouldn't take it. It sounds like you might have knicked a primary artery or vein, which will bleed profusely regardless. Cutting the radial artery is a common way to self terminate and it is a rapid bleed.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
My nephew asked me for a hand putting out a new ladder tree stand he had bought.
I'm not sure the brand but plenty heavy.
He's a brick Mason and has arms like Popeye and carried the assembled stand most of the way back into the woods. Up hill and down and back up. Waste high growth of brush ferns pine trees from the land being selective cut about five yrs ago. Everything wet from rain overnight so I was soaked.
We finally got back to the deer trail where he wanted to sit it up. At least 100 yards plus off the road. Plenty of tall straight oaks to sit up on.
The ladder sections were still zip tied to top section of the ladder. He dropped the stand and started looking for the tree to hook it to.
I took out my pocket knife a very small two blade buck knife that's not to Sharpe.
Flipped out the longer skinny blade and started cutting off the zip ties.
There were like 8 total and the last one at the top I started to cut with my dull knife.
Finally the tie popped and I was holding the stand with my left hand cutting with my right hand and stabbed my wrist....
For twenty yrs I've taken a baby aspirin every day as I carry 50 extra lbs and assume it prevents heart attacks.
The blood squirted from my wrist like a stream. I grabbed my wrist and thumb on the puncher hole headed out back to the road.
Stopped about half way.
Uncovered it. The bleeding was minimal and slowed up. My nephew cut off his shirt arm and tied it and I headed home.
A stupid Accident on my part. But when I get even a small cut no matter how small I bleed like crazy.
I'm gonna ask my Dr in September if the aspirin a day is really beneficial or not.
At home washed it with dial soap, the germX. Then a bandaid. I hope no infection sets in in the next day or so.
Yeah, the aspirin is really beneficial especially if you have a family history of heart attacks or strokes. If your Dr. put you on it there's probably a good reason, but no harm in asking.

I take it and I've noticed that it's made my skin really thin and easy to tear. I used to could walk through a briar patch and be fine. Now I come out looking like I was in a bar fight.

Last edited:

Cool Hand Luke

Totally off topic but have always heard it's a good idea to carry liquid Benadryl in your pack while in the woods in case of a bite or sting. As we age our tolerance/allergies for these things change.

SC Hunter

I hate you stuck a hole in yourself. I have a tourniquet on my backpack I carry every day, either at work or it stays in the truck on my days off. I keep one in the door of my truck, my wife has one in her console, one in her purse and a few around the house. I'm not saying you needed a tourniquet but had you sliced it things would have gotten dicey.

I was taking aspirin at 31 years old back in 2020 when Covid was killing people secondary with blood clot issues. I work as a paramedic and my doctor suggested it wouldn't be a horrible idea to reduce the chances of developing a clot after Covid, it wasn't if just a when type thing. Any who my wife and I had gone to Lowes and I bought a pack of new ratchet straps. Standing in the parking lot opening the straps with my newly bladed outdoor edge knife it slipped and sliced the very tip of my pinky finger off. I told my wife to hand me a rag and she kept asking but why? After a few adult adjectives I showed her my now leaking/dripping/running down my arm hand and she lost her marbles. I wasn't worried about it because it wasn't just running later but I bled through bandage after bandage for 3 days. I quit taking aspirin shortly after and just hoped for the best. I'd have been in serious trouble had I sliced an artery.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Totally off topic but have always heard it's a good idea to carry liquid Benadryl in your pack while in the woods in case of a bite or sting. As we age our tolerance/allergies for these things change.

I keep a couple of blood clot envelopes in my possibles bag and last years started keeping some benadryl in there too. Just in case. Also keep both in my truck, both boat dry boxes, and at home.

oldfella1962

Regular aspirin can cause stomach ulcers, if a doctor didn't tell you it's saving your life I wouldn't take it. It sounds like you might have knicked a primary artery or vein, which will bleed profusely regardless. Cutting the radial artery is a common way to self terminate and it is a rapid bleed.
A few days ago some guy getting kicked out of a bar and getting arrested (not Ron White!) punched a window and severed an artery and quickly died. :oops: But in Hollywood westerns & action movies, bar fights are hilarious when people get tossed through a window! I'm guessing reality has a different view of this.