Anyone here fish rocky rivers in a boat?

fishmonger

I do. I run a G3 CCJ1656, with a Yama 60/40 jet. Before that a 12 foot V bottom with a 9.9 prop with a River Runner guarding the prop. Do you have a specific question?

Burton

I do. I run a G3 CCJ1656, with a Yama 60/40 jet. Before that a 12 foot V bottom with a 9.9 prop with a River Runner guarding the prop. Do you have a specific question?
I think my specific question was "what are all of the options for fishing a river with a few rapids/shallow rocks AND requires a 7 mile upstream trip?"

What is plausible is completely dependent upon the river, but I think I could legitimately consider a 9.9 with guard in my situation. I may find out differently though once tested and it could also be dependent on the water levels.

I would not attempt a 7 mile trip downstream without a backup power plan (trolling motor).

I think I could easily make the trip in 2 hours with the trolling motor (upstream).

BeerThirty

Grew up on fishing rocky rivers with lots of rapids. Always go upstream if you have major concerns. Consider holding back and waiting for another boat to traverse the path first and follow their lead. Often times locals will know the safer path to take. I've found that aluminum, flat bottom boats bode better because their more buoyant and dents are easier to fix than big gashes in fiberglass. Obviously till your outboard up as high as you can go. And this may seem trivial, but if you have another person in the boat, ask them to be a lookout at the front of the boat... they might be able to see the rocks better and help you navigate your way through much easier.

berchris

My buddy and I fish out of a Hog Island Skiff with a Tohatsu jet through out the Hooch, below Morgan Falls all the way down to West Point. Personally, I would not fish out of a jon boat with a prop in 95% of the Hooch, but you do you. Depending on the section, the Hooch gets super skinny and its basically impassible without a jet. Especially when the discharge is below 1300.

If you do fish in the Hooch, it is really important to know where the rocky sections are and keep close track of the water levels before getting out on the water. We typically look at historical data using Google Earth to see where the bad spots are, during low and high water.

I also agree with the other commenters - it is important to have a backup plan if you go down the river. If your engine fails, run out of fuel, etc., you are not getting back up the river without a very powerful trolling motor or a tow.

Burton

My buddy and I fish out of a Hog Island Skiff with a Tohatsu jet through out the Hooch, below Morgan Falls all the way down to West Point. Personally, I would not fish out of a jon boat with a prop in 95% of the Hooch, but you do you. Depending on the section, the Hooch gets super skinny and its basically impassible without a jet. Especially when the discharge is below 1300.

If you do fish in the Hooch, it is really important to know where the rocky sections are and keep close track of the water levels before getting out on the water. We typically look at historical data using Google Earth to see where the bad spots are, during low and high water.

I also agree with the other commenters - it is important to have a backup plan if you go down the river. If your engine fails, run out of fuel, etc., you are not getting back up the river without a very powerful trolling motor or a tow.
Yeah, I've been looking at that boat. Looks perfect, but would be completely irresponsible of me to drop that much money on something I would only use a few times a year.

I mean, that doesn't mean I won't do it. My buddy suggested we hit up land owners to pay for access privileges. Even at $50 or $100 per launch it would be significantly cheaper than adding a new boat.

So I think that is Plan A.

Burton

Well, I skipped plan A and bought a used (2021) Mokai 2.0. Slightly irresponsible, but whatcha gonna do?

pbradley

Not fished but patrolled. Any condition imaginable. Chattahoochee from just below 6 flags to Franklin (not all at one time) and the upper flint. Prop Jon boats get ready to and know how to replace a prop. Jet Jon boats are ok as long as it’s set up correctly and you know what you’re doing.

I always wanted a jet boat like they use in alaska and the Pacific Northwest.

I spoke to a ranger named Gore one time while floating from Sprewell Bluff down to the Flint River outdoor center.

I was floating downstream, he was running upriver from the center. In a jon boat with a tiller-steer 25 hp outboard.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I spoke to a ranger named Gore one time while floating from Sprewell Bluff down to the Flint River outdoor center.

I was floating downstream, he was running upriver from the center. In a jon boat with a tiller-steer 25 hp outboard.
Yeah he eventually got a jet drive. We wore the props off those prop boats. Tore the welded on forks off them too. When it’s time to go it’s time to go.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
I'm talking a large river with a few shallow rocks / small shoals. Should be easily navigable by jet boat standards.

I'm probably never going to commit to it. But lets say I want to run 7 miles downstream....then 7 miles back to the launch. On the way, I pass 3 or 4 smallish rapids.

I think I've looked at everything:
Polymer boats with jet
Mini jets (aluminum)
Jon boat with mud motor
Jet kayaks
Aluminum/jon with jet

I can't really pinpoint the best option. I guess the best option is also the most expensive option.

Thoughts?
I've got a G3 1860 with a jet tunnel hull. It's a BIG river boat. It has a Yamaha 90/65 jet on it. On plane, if you don't see it, you don't hit it. It's that simple. In other words if it' not sticking up out of the water you don't hit it. I've ran across logs on plane that were sticking out of the water 1/2-1 inch. I can run anywhere on plane in the summer when the river is the lowest as long as the boat is narrow enough to fit between the logs and rocks. I would never do anything different if I had to do it again.