Anyone on here tried hairy indigo, joint vetch, etc?

davel

I've been reading about some other options for planting spring plots that get hit hard with browsing pressure. I read hairy indigo can handle heavy browsing (actually planted for goat browse) and has 20% protein with other beneficial minerals. I also read about mixing millet (pearl) in or a separate mix of joint vetch and alyceclover.
Anyone tried any of these and what was your experience?
Thanks!

doomtrpr_z71

Pearl Millet is stupid expensive now, so is hairy indigo which is funny now that its a weed in FL. I have joint vetch and alyce in my pasture now but for the money even as high as Pearl Millet is, that will probably hold up the best to heavy grazing.

mattb78

Buckwheat is what I would add to buffer browse pressure if necessary. Have you tried the standard alyceclover/jv mix? That stuff holds up pretty well and unless you have had a failure I would try the standard mix.

davel

Pearl Millet is stupid expensive now, so is hairy indigo which is funny now that its a weed in FL. I have joint vetch and alyce in my pasture now but for the money even as high as Pearl Millet is, that will probably hold up the best to heavy grazing.
Thanks Doom!

davel

Buckwheat is what I would add to buffer browse pressure if necessary. Have you tried the standard alyceclover/jv mix? That stuff holds up pretty well and unless you have had a failure I would try the standard mix.
Never tried any of it but I'm going to. Why is Alyce clover the companion to joint vetch? That stuff is expensive too. Although I don't mind spending more on seed that will actually grow and not get mowed down as soon as it sprouts. We've done buckwheat and it gets hammered.

davel

Can I do joint vetch and pearl millet? Or add pearl millet to the joint vetch and alyce clover?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Reading along. What’s a good source for this seed?
Internet?

doomtrpr_z71

Pearl millet is going to smother out the vetch, but if you just want it for nitrogen/soil health, it would be fine. Any place with seed that deals with cattle guys will have pearl millet, but I'll warn you, buy it now because there won't be any in a month.

davel

Pearl millet is going to smother out the vetch, but if you just want it for nitrogen/soil health, it would be fine. Any place with seed that deals with cattle guys will have pearl millet, but I'll warn you, buy it now because there won't be any in a month.
One supplier didn't have any yet.