AR scope decision....any thoughts?

bullgator

Well, after almost 22 months my LaRue Stealth upper finally arrived. I got the 18" barrel with the 13.2" handguard. I really want to set it up as a precision AR and now I need to decide on my glass. I'm limiting my budget to $1100 so the NF, S&B, Swarovski, and others in that price range are out. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Leupold 4.5-14 30mm at about 800-900 and the Meopta Meotac 4-16x44 at $1099. My biggest concern with the Meopta (my first choice) is the weight.....about 10 oz more than the Leupold. Is a 27oz scope too much on an AR?

wareagle700

With that budget, I strongly suggest looking at the Vortex Viper PST line of scopes or the Bushnell Tactical scopes. You may even be able to pick up a used Nightforce if you ask around.

Both the scopes you are considering have mil reticles and moa adjustments. Thats a thing of the past. Look for reticles and adjustments that are either both mil/mil or moa/moa. Don't mix and match unless you just like to be complicated.

I would go with a Vortex Viper PST and not look back.

2 UP

Look at cameralandny at the demo list. I've ordered 2 Viper Pst's and could not tell the difference from brand new. I have a 4-16x50 FFP Viper Pst ordered. They did not show a demo for it on the website but said they would set one aside when they get a new shipment for $729.99. They are 900 new

cmshoot

I'm with wareagle700.......Vortex Viper PST.

Don't know where you are (never heard of xxxxxxx), but you're welcome to come by my place and look at the Vortex Viper PST. I'm not a dealer and they're not for sale......they're sitting on rifles belonging to some students of mine.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I got a Bushnell AR/223 Tactical scope with 4.5-18x40mm zoom. The clicks are as accurate as my Vortex PST 6-24x50mm scope. You are able to see your .223 bullet holes in your target at 100 yds plus. This 5 shot group was shot at 100 yds. using this scope. They cost around $200. This is it on top of my WOA Varmint 18" upper. The rings are Warne QD Ultra High Aluminum rings.

gt40

Attachments

• 100 yd. group .JPG
    100 yd. group .JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 240
  • WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS  2.JPG
    WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS 2.JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 239

bullgator

I have a Viper PST on a Rem. 5R. Since I'm trying to keep weight down and the scope as low as possible I was looking at the 44mm as about max with the LaRue LT 104 mount. While the Viper is a nice scope, I really never found it to outclass even the Leupolds. It also had an issue with the battery popping loose and not allowing the illuminated reticle to work. Turns out it was a bad cover that Vortex replaced.
OK...maybe I should throw Vortex back in the mix and see if a 50 mm will fit.
Any thoughts on the German glass (Meopta) vs the Japanese glass of Vortex?

wareagle700

What are you trying to do with the scope? If bird watching is a priority, Zeiss and Meopta are good contenders. ;) If you want a durable and reliable optic that's designed for longer range shooting, the Vortex is the best all around scope within your budget. The euro glass usually always has the edge in clarity but they often lack the features, durability, repeatability that other scopes like Vortex and Bushnell offer in the same price range.

It just depends on what you want out of the optic. Once you get into the $1,000 range, glass quality is good across the board and tends to take a back seat to more important things like build quality and features.

rjcruiser

Saw a big ole Sightron siii I believe for $800ish on a classifieds sight not too long ago. more for a long range set up, but definitely in your price range and precision.

bullgator

Just took some measurements of my 6-24 PST, bell was 2.265 and the flip up scope cover made it 2.406 diameter. So it looks like a 50mm is an option with the LaRue mount. Well dang, that just opened up the field.