Arrow and Broadhead Selection

spencer12

Hey guys quick question. Since the season is winding down I'm doing a bit of an equipment change. For years I have shot Carbon Express Mayhem arrows with NAP Spitfire 100 grain expandables. This setup has worked but being the addicted archer that I am I like to tinker and explore new things. Anyways this is my current setup:

Elite Answer
70lbs
28.5 inch Draw
26.5 inch Carbon Express Mayhems
100 grain NAP Spitfires
(Somewhere around 390-399 Grains)

What I'm going to experiment with:
Elite Answer 70 lbs
28.5 inch draw
26.5 inch Easton Axis Arrows 340's
125? Grain FIXED BLADE head
(This should put me around 401 +/- grains with 3 inch blazers)

My question is what do you guys think of this setup? Should I add heavier inserts and go heavier and lose some speed, or shoot 100 grain heads for a total of 376 grains and pick up some speed? Also what kind of numbers would I be looking at here with 400 grains and 376 grains? Just off the top of my head im assuming around 270-280 with 400 grains and maybe 290+ with 376. Opinions or thoughts?

Also any reviews with the easton axis arrows?

Old Winchesters

I like speed in archery, it keeps the pins closer together thus reducing the chance for bad shots and misses.

BlackEagle

Banned
I shoot 1 pin. And I shoot almost a 500 grain arrow. I wouldn't shoot anything less than a 430 grain arrow.

I wouldnt shoot a light arrow for speed gains or the simple fact it "keeps the pins closer reducing the chance for bad shots and misses." My slowest bow is around 260fps and it's a killer, even at long range.

I mix between 100 grain rage hypodermics and 125 grain Black Hornets. They both stay in the quiver.

spydermon

Blackeagle, do you use the same arrow and just swap heads, or do you have a different arrow combo for each? I'd think the 125 would affect spine a little. It may not be enough to notice though.

BlackEagle

Banned
Blackeagle, do you use the same arrow and just swap heads, or do you have a different arrow combo for each? I'd think the 125 would affect spine a little. It may not be enough to notice though.

Same arrow for both. They both fly great. Slight difference between the two (vertically) out at 40 yards. I rarely have to shoot at an animal that far though. Most shots are within 30 yards.

tmullins

If you wish to shoot fixed blades, I would recommend Ramcats.

Nathanj519

This thread should help you some
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=845324

I agree with blackeagle, I would definitely go with a heavier setup. Penetration is more important than speed and smaller pin gap in my opinion. Especially when the average shot isn't pass 30 yards. I shoot a single pin mover as well and I haven't moved it off 20 yards all season.

My curent setup is gold tip 300s with 50 grain insert weights tipped with Ramcat 125s bring total arrow weight is 476.

jawja7

I also agree with Blackeagle and Nate. I shoot a single pin slider with Black Eagle Carnivore 300's with Ramcat 125's from an Obsession Delta 28.5/70. Overall weight is right at 440. I like for my hunting set up to shoot from 290fps-310 fps. I leave my pin set on 25 yards. I have shot the pin set on that range from below 20 out to 40 yards and there's only about 2.5 inch drop. I don't have many shots out to 40 yards though, most of mine are 30 and in. I prefer the heavier arrow than the lighter "speed" arrow and definitely prefer fixed over mechanical heads.

Burney Mac

I shoot 1 pin. And I shoot almost a 500 grain arrow. I wouldn't shoot anything less than a 430 grain arrow.

I wouldnt shoot a light arrow for speed gains or the simple fact it "keeps the pins closer reducing the chance for bad shots and misses." My slowest bow is around 260fps and it's a killer, even at long range.

I mix between 100 grain rage hypodermics and 125 grain Black Hornets. They both stay in the quiver.

Solid advice.

I shoot a 500 grain combo as well, FMJ's and Killzones. I shoot an expandable by choice for deer around here. For larger game or Midwest deer I would run a fixed blade up front IMO. Don't get caught up with what you see on tv with all the speed hype and half arrow penetration.

I currently shoot a multi pin, but switching to a single slider after the season.

Take a few notes from the guys that shoot traditional.

BigHutch

Agree on the heavier arrow with a good FOC. I shoot 465GR arrows.

Black Eagle Rampage, SS half-out inserts, blazers, 125GR head (Hypodermic, Xecutioner Hybrid, Exodus), nockturnals.

Brian from GA

I am a proponent of heavier is better also.

1 trick that might help is weights behind the insert or weighted inserts vs 125 gr heads. I shoot gold tip kinetic. GT has weights that can be screwed into the back of the insert. For your Easton Axis you can go with the brass inserts.

The reason I say go with weights rather than 125 heads is the availability of 100 grain heads. There is simply a larger selection of 100 grain heads out there.

SAhunter

Great points mentioned. I shoot obsession def con 6 29/65. With 400 gr arrow set up with lumenocks and 100gr slick tricks. The FOC with that setup holds tight groups. So with yours the 125 gr broad head will do fine. 100 gr broadheads will do fine also. But test them both to see which tunes best with your bow. Ramcats are lethal, I just didn't want to change my arrow lengths. Good luck.

Ihunt

I agree that the heavier is better but lighter arrows are not as bad as people make them out to be when tipped with a good COC head. Now, put a 2" wide mechanical on a 300 grain arrow and IMO you are asking for trouble. Will it work? Sometimes, but I really like two holes in my deer.