Article that volguy helped with about QU Celebrity Hunt in Albany

Researcher31726

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was hoping that my editor would post this on the website this week, but other articles won out. I appreciate Todd Whittaker (volguy) helping with me with this article, and Jim Thompson letting me post my interview requests.
Nicodemus helped me with one about the UKC Winter Classic that's on another thread; David Mills helped me with the turkeyrama in Perry that was in my column, "The Outdoor Scene" on www.thecitizen.biz. I'll be quoting some more about QU, turkeyrama, and coon hunting in my column next week.
Thanks, everybody, for your help!
Sue

Quail Unlimited Celebrity Hunt spotlights favorite bird in southwest Georgia

This past weekend, the stars were out, the hunting dogs were busy, and the bobwhite quail were being flushed from their spots as the 20th Annual Quail Unlimited Celebrity Hunt returned to Albany.
The list of the celebrities who gave of themselves to come here to raise money for and to meet with others interested in quail conservation. “We had many big names such as Jerry Mathers (The Beav), Vince Dooley, Heath Shuler, Bobby Dews, Ryan Klesko, John Shurholz, Jeff Treadway, Keith Lockhart, Jeff Treadway (all with or from the Braves at one point in time of course),” stated Todd Whitaker, Co-Chairman for the Northeast Georgia Quail Unlimited chapter and a National Quail Unlimited Event Staff Volunteer. “Then we had some country music stars such as Darryl Singletary and Jim Ed Brown (who put on a great show for us unexpectedly at Thursday Night's Landowner Dinner). The Rick and Bubba morning radio and television show was live on Friday morning and it was neat to hear them interview different people.”
“The event is always a great success and this year was no exception. Everyone seemed to have a great time hunting and socializing with old and new friends. You get to meet top notch people and even though many of the attendees are famous, each is friendly and down to earth,” continued Todd.
In addition to the praise the QU volunteer had for the celebrities, he, also, had plenty of good things to say about the area. “The plantations are top notch and the plantation owners and their staff are the backbone of the event. I was able to visit Wynfield Plantation and it is a first class destination ran by Bill Bowles. Bill is one of the nicest guys you will meet and is doing a heck of a job with Wynfield. We were there to set up for Sunday's Celebrity Sporting Clays Tournament and, man, was that place in good shape. His staff was all over making sure everything was clean and tidy.”
“An event of this size is always a ton of hard work and organizational effort, but the Quail Unlimited Staff led by Tommy and Connie Dean and Sharon Sapp (all full time national event directors for QU) once again prevailed and made everything go smoothly,” added the Northeast Georgia QU co-chairman from Watkinsville.
The annual hunt and activities encompass Quail Unlimited's largest fundraising event. Not only does it raise funding for the work of QU, but it brings favorable attention to southwest Georgia. The plantations visited included those in Terrell, Calhoun, Baker, Clay, Worth, and Dougherty Counties.