Assistance Needed

gtb3440

NOTE: I posted this in the Gunsmith Section but did not receive any advice, so I'm copying and pasting the request since I know a lot of turkey hunters know what they are talking about when it comes to their shotguns.

I have a reassembly problem with a Retay Gordion 12 ga. After reassembly (basic field strip - did not disassemble the bolt or the trigger assembly), the bolt will lock back but when the bolt release is engaged, the bolt will not go forward (unless it is forced). I couldn't see where either the trigger assembly or bolt was reinstalled incorrectly.
I'm wondering if there is a trick or maybe something simple I'm missing. I watched several Retay videos but non addressed my issue.
If anyone has a suggestion or 2 that can help me, I'm all ears. If not, I'll take it to a gunsmith for a fix.
Can someone recommend a gunsmith in the Newnan/Griffin/Fayetteville areas just in case?
Thanks in advance.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Sir, I can’t help with a fix but this smith will help you.

Stick

Pull the bolt back out. Is there a plunger in the stock that the back of the bolt goes into? If you don't get that lined up right the plunger spring won't push the bolt. I'm not familiar with that shotgun, but my Browning Gold and Winchester SX3 both have that same design.

gtb3440

Pull the bolt back out. Is there a plunger in the stock that the back of the bolt goes into? If you don't get that lined up right the plunger spring won't push the bolt. I'm not familiar with that shotgun, but my Browning Gold and Winchester SX3 both have that same design.
Not sure about a plunger in the stock without taking the rear stock apart. There is no notch in the back of the bolt where a plunger would insert.
I tried to attach a short video with no luck, but what it showed was the bolt locked in the rear position, then I hit the bolt release button, the bolt did not slide forward so I forced it closed with a push. That's what happens.

Last edited:

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Think it's built on a Benelli patent since it expired a few years ago. It should have a guide on the back of the bolt that goes into a slot at the front of the butt stock and has a spring just like most Benellis and EAAs have. You have to make sure it's lined up correctly.

If it doesn't want to go forward, the spring in the butt stock may be weak, stuck or broke. Take the bolt out and look at where the receiver ends and butt stock begins, there should be a round metal/fiber disk the bolt plunger goes into, press it with a cleaning rod, it should go in and out freely. If not, you have issues.

Also make sure your hammer is in the cocked position and the bolt catch isn't engage when putting the bolt group in.