T/C COMPASS .308 WIN

chuckdog

I picked up a T/C Compass, an impulse purchase two years ago. Price sells, I'm pretty sure it was $165 otd after $75 rebate.

Finally, after all this time I took it out and assembled a package.

I installed my trusted old(bought it when they were first released @$149) Redfield Revolution 3X9 using Talley ring/mounts. I then proceeded to address the 6lb trigger pull.

After disassembly I discovered the mechanism to be a variation of the old Winchester Model 70 trigger with some type of spring loaded attachment behind it. It was at its lightest setting, 6lbs!

I went through my stock of aftermarket springs and found an Ernie The Gunsmith Ruger LC6 spring that I was able to adapt.

After installing the custom cut spring and removing that cancerous attachement behind the trigger I now have a consistent 2lb break and virtually zero overtravel at its lightest setting.

Yesterday, on my way home from work I took it by the range. I had brought along some 150 grain Sierra GK's atop 44 odd grains of Varget that I loaded in 2013.

First two shots at 50 yds went through the same hole.

After moving the settings a few clicks up and to the right I put two within a half inch at 100yds. I had just walked 200 yds when I sat down to shoot the two at 100yds and I know I pulled the first shot just a bit left as I touched it off. The second was right beside the first 2" above poa at 100.

I was in a hurry, didn't take time to do anymore. To say I'm pleased with this inexpensive combo is an understatement.

TC Compass Range.jpg

Nimrod71

Some of the rifle makers have caught on. They are making several model of economical rifles that shoot well. If anyone is interested Academy has a real buy on T/C rifles right now.

Wjackson11x

I own 2 of the TC Compass. I bought one for my 8 year old son in 7mm-08 and myself one in 6.5 CM. My son shot his first deer with hes 7mm-08. Both shoot very well and the 6.5 cm is now my go-to deer rifle over more expensive rifles that are in my gun safe.
In my opinion, it is the best budget rifle you can buy.

Tacoma Man

I bought my son a Compass in 308 for Christmas 3 years ago. Put a Vortex on it. She’s a sweet shooter. Light weight. Hardly any recoil