ATA Bow Report

Bow Only

I shot all the major bows there and some minor ones. Here is my opinion on what I shot. The Drenalin was not there.

Best Bow - I'd have to go with the BowTech Guardian. I'm a hunter, so I didn't shoot the longer axle to axle bows. The Guardian at 70lb is unbelievably dead, meaning it doesn't move at all when you shoot it. Maybe even more so than the SwitchBack. It's sweet. Not bad on the draw curve, holds well, shoots fast, and doesn't have any residual hand vibration. This new BowTech riser design, IMO, should be the future of compound bows. Easily the best bow at the show.

The PSE engineers have showed up. They've actually got some higher end bows that shoot very well. The FireStorm X was a very good shooter, but they had it on 50lb so it was hard to see what it would do at hunting poundage. At 50lb, there was no hand shock or thump at all. My only concern is that at 29 inches axle to axle, the string angle is VERY steep and might be more critical to shoot accuracy wise. The Brute Force has a 345 IBO speed.

I wasn't impressed with the Vectrix, but maybe it was me. It was set on 50lb and I had just shot the Firestorm X and the Guardian at 50lb. Comparing the 3, the Hoyt had more vibration. It is still a fine bow and will kill a ton of critters this year. The difference between them all is very small. It does draw 1000% better than the Trykon. It does hold well also.

High Country had some good looking aluminum bows. The Iron Mace will shoot their Speed Pros at 398 fps, so that's over a 330 IBO. It looks very nice and draws well. Shooting their light arrows, all their bows have more hand shock than when shooting heavier arrows.

For a speed bow, I shot the Mamba. From the get go, I remembered why I don't shoot a speed bow. Heavy draw, short valley, hard to hold, and concussion after the shot. It's fast though.

I didn't shoot a Ross, I never saw their lane. They were using my products to hold up 3 of their bows though.:cool:

I only got to stay for 7 hours so I didn't get to see it all. Every row, there was someone who I hadn't seen in a while and talked to.

Al33

Thanks for the report

I've got an invite and will be there early in the morning. This will be my first ATA event and although I am a trad shooter I am looking forward to seeing all the high tech offerings.:D

reylamb

Best Bow - I'd have to go with the BowTech Guardian. I'm a hunter, so I didn't shoot the longer axle to axle bows. The Guardian at 70lb is unbelievably dead, meaning it doesn't move at all when you shoot it. Maybe even more so than the SwitchBack. It's sweet. Not bad on the draw curve, holds well, shoots fast, and doesn't have any residual hand vibration. This new BowTech riser design, IMO, should be the future of compound bows. Easily the best bow at the show.
Hey Matt.......did you happen to ask the guys at Bowtech why there is no option for the Guardian or Commander in more than 70#s?????????? While I think more than 70 is ridiculous I like to know a design is capable of it...but for some reason not the Guardian??????????? Just curious if you get the same answer I did........

bowsmith

Who did you talk to Jeff? And who would you like to talk to? I'll get you an answer.

Bow Only

I always talk to John Strasheim and John Hernandez. I'll talk to them next week and ask about it.

NorthGaBowhunter

Not sure there is a market for a bow over 70 lbs. heck rey I shot it at the show that joker was very fast, I heard RC ask the guy, he had to ask someone else he did'nt know ether. But I'm glad them heavy tackle days are gone.I thought the ross bows were awesome to. That cardiac was a awesome bow.