Baltimore bridge collapse

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That was horrible. I can't fathom being one of the people driving across there at the moment. Imagine if that had happened at rush hour.

ucfireman

Heard about it on the radio a bit ago, didn't realize the whole thing fell.

I'm sure this was an accident or negligent event but this type of stuff could easily be don't by terrorists and cripple the county.

georgia_home

Report on news a few minutes ago.

steering / propulsion or similar failure.
crew able to declare emergency
bridge traffic was blocked off prior
road patch crew was working night shift.
6 per the article. Looking for them now

Early reporting, subject to change

TJay

Tragic but could have been much worse. What a terrible thing for those affected families to wake up to.

gadeerwoman

Been across that bridge multiple times ...and always hated it. Never liked long suspension bridges anywhere. Can't imagine the terror of being on one when it gives way.

creekrunner

Had a friend who was stopped waiting on the drawbridge on the Sidney Lanier bridge in Brunswick when it got hit in the early ’70’s. He was several cars back but he felt the impact

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
That’s a bad situation, and it would be difficult to mitigate it.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Article I read said it happened just 7 min before the scheduled train passed by. 47 dead over 100 injured, a sad story.
Had it broke the rails instead of bend them (way the bridge was built kept that from happening) a signal would have alerted the train to emergency stop. Granted the train might not have been able to stop in that time frame, but would have been going much slower when it got there.

Oldstick

Horrible. The older I get, I find my self getting a little antsy crossing any bridge. Is it possible for one to collapse suddenly? Is it possible for the Titanic to sink? And I won't even step out on one of those cantilevered balconies in a hotel room.