Bartram's Bass Outing

AL trout bum

I have been talking with Jason (ShoalBandit) for a while about trying to locate Bartram's bass. I am a confessing redeye bass fly angler. Yes, I purposely target and work hard for these tiny fish. After catching a lot of them in Alabama (mostly the flagship Micropterus coosae species), I wanted to broaden my horizons and catch another (hopefully soon-to-be) species based on drainage. It's clear that these fish are morphologically a little different than those in the Coosa, Cahaba, Tallapoosa, or Black Warrior River drainages. I am hopeful that genetic testing will reveal a suspicion that many have had for a long while that they're in fact a separate species.

On to the fishing. Jason and I went back and forth trying to come up with the best time to go and what waters we should fish. A time was set, and all I had to do was hurry up and wait.

As most of the southeast has been experiencing, rains were a little of an issue on the day we chose. The skies were a little dark and gloomy on the drive over along with some sprinkles on the windshield.

I met up with Jason and we assessed the situation. The water was a little off-color, but it still looked fishable. I was CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored-bent on throwing a popper, in less than favorable popper conditions.

P5270018_zpsgfqnciac.jpg

We set out "kayaking" up the river to where the stream looked more favorable for redeye bass.

P5270015_zpsmcl370bx.jpg

Oddly enough, I saw a familiar sight of spider lilies.

P5270022_zpsdvaz1xkt.jpg

Jason caught several largemouth bass as we paddled up. He is no stranger to redeye bass or even Bartram's bass specifically. He was gracious enough to give me first crack at redeye water.

P5270035_zpspj3ymqgi.jpg

P5270038_zps3rsm0feh.jpg

It didn't take long to connect with a familiar face. Although I have never caught one before, I know exactly what they should look like.

P5270070_zpsrhtmhfmg.jpg

P5270055_zps0upx0rud.jpg

P5270086_zpsiha3j4qf.jpg

Being the fly fisherman that I am, I love learning as much about new water as possible. What kinds of insects are there? What do the fish eat? I started turning over rocks and looking.

Some caddis fly casings:

P5270141_zpsxbmkrb46.jpg

Some stonefly nymphs:

P5270149_zpslwzrphbs.jpg

Some mayfly nymphs:

P5270192_zpsrt3g3jht.jpg

The presence of these guys means the stream is in good condition and no major water quality issues. Another check for a good redeye bass stream.

There were also crayfish, some big and some small:

P5270167_zpsajofdoya.jpg

P5270184_zpsbm6v2mv0.jpg

The stream was absolutely beautiful.

P5270165_zps0egjs9pt.jpg

P5270172_zps0t5sxey0.jpg

A little further upstream I caught a nicer specimen.

P5270122_zpsmcg0dchc.jpg

P5270129_zpshmamilh0.jpg

P5270111_zpskfxdvq5s.jpg

I had a great day on the water meeting a fellow angler that shares my appreciation for these tiny, but very interesting fish. Couldn't have asked for a better fishing partner. Can't wait to do it again!

Celebratory beer:

P5290211_zpsntrppeyt.jpg

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good report, looks like a perfect way to spend the day! I have never caught one of those, but I'd like to sometime.

WPrich

Great story and love the pictures, thanks for sharing with us what looks like a fun filled day.

ShoalBandit

Great pics Matt! I really didn't know what to expect since I had never fished there but I'm glad you caught some in those conditions. We'll have to go again sometime...btw here's a few more pics.

5.27.2017a_zpsjycoytiz.jpg

5.27.2017c_zpsx5qhn2nm.jpg

5.27.2017b_zpsllvrp7h9.jpg

Last edited:

croaker

Grand report, pictures and what a beauty of a creek!

Have caught Redeye Bass out of the Chattooga and the Savannah Rivers.

Hope to try 'em again soon.