Bass stocking experiment on allatoona

I think the Spots would eat all the 1 to 2 inch fingerlings stocked though :)

Gordon that was my first thought as well and then I was reminded that the hybrid fingerlings are stocked in far fewer numbers, around 60,000 to 80,000 a year I believe. And they have done quite well, even though the spotted bass inhabits their domain of the lake as much as the largemouths habitat. And the hybrid fingerlings also have to evade the larger hybrids and stripers that do not inhabit the largemouth habitat to any great degree.

JigNchunk

It is a good idea but I had rather see DNR stock Smallmouth at Blue Ridge. It would have better long term results than stocking LM on Allatoona. They are only stocking bait for Hybrids by stocking LM in Toona.

mtr3333

Banned
It is a good idea but I had rather see DNR stock Smallmouth at Blue Ridge. It would have better long term results than stocking LM on Allatoona. They are only stocking bait for Hybrids by stocking LM in Toona.
Have you seen the data on the age of a 22" Spot on Allatoona? This will take many years to see the results.

Went fishing Friday night. Caught 8 fish. Four of them large mouths. A 2# , 2 1/2# , 1# and a 4 1/2#. All from one cove. Great. Night

JohnK

DNR met with the fisherman listened and came up with a game plan is Awesome!! Hats off to Jim and the crew!

I do believe he came up with a valid plan a few years ago and the fishermen voted it down.... or cried and whined til it went away.

tkaz

I do believe he came up with a valid plan a few years ago and the fishermen voted it down.... or cried and whined til it went away.

Well I guess they came up with a second plan. Not sure how much time any of you speculating spend on Allatoona but I can see a big increase in lgm. I did not weigh in many but I caught more 12-13" lgm than I have seen in 10+ years. We also caught quite a few 6-8" and they all look amazingly healthy. I am not one of the river rats or bank beaters. These fish all came from deep structure.

It may not be perfect but I am glad to see DNR try. I'm sure no matter what they do fisherman will whine especially on toona.

H

Hammer Spank

EXACTLY!!

It makes me sick that we are wasting money on largemouths that exist in every lake in the state, as well as pretty much every river and creek as well, while we are watching the smallmouths disappear. I don't care what anyone says, the smallmouth is a much better game fish and is native to many basins in the state and they are pretty well gone now except for a few rivers. This is where money needs to be spent on stocking.

I'm a yankee so you'll think I'm biased to begin with but I'd rather catch a two lb smallie than a ten lb largemouth.

jzFish

I have caught more largemouth this year out of allatoona than ever before. I caught a 3 pounder on labor day weekend near galts. Sometimes they are mixed in with the spots and white bass. The spots and hyrbids are still dominating but I am hearing reports of people catching more LM out there.