Battery operated tools

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Been lugging a generator for years but I’m liking the battery operated life in the woods.

Only thing I really need in order to make repairs on hunting stands is a battery operated skill saw and a sawzall.

Any recommendations?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
There’s plenty of good ones. I have Ryobi and am very happy them. Little cheaper than the Makitas and perform well. I try to have one battery type so have other tools.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I just upgraded my tired DeWalt 18v to Metabo-HPT (formerly Hitachi Power Tools).

Lifetime warranty on tool itself
Great specs
Free 3.0 AH battery rebate on tool purchases regardless of sale price.
Lowe's has deals on right now.

I also bought this closeout set just to get the fast charger and two batteries which usually sell for $199 alone. Tools came "free" and then some and this recip saw will use jigsaw blades as well. (Recip saw gets you a battery rebate in addition.)
Metabo Spring bundle

Lowe's BF deal on the 2nd gen brushless drill /impact set that also qualifies for 2 more 3 Ah battery rebates on top of the sale price!
Drill driver impact set.

Battery rebate

I should add I have Ryobi for some yard tools...nothing wrong without them either, but there is a clear difference to me in design and quality vs. Metabo-HPT... but Ryobi wins on variety of tools for sure.

Bonus: if you ever need service Metabo-HPT national center is in Braselton, GA.

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
There’s plenty of good ones. I have Ryobi and am very happy them. Little cheaper than the Makitas and perform well. I try to have one battery type so have other tools.
Ryobi is one I was looking at. Dewalt is pricey but all my other stuff is Dewalt

transfixer

I have had Ryobi 18v stuff for years, used circular saw ,sawzall, drill in the wood many times to build stands, I have about half the assortment of tools they have available, which is a LOT ! I also use Ryobi 18v impact driver and drills at work, daily, they do hold up to daily use ! the 3amp and 4 amp batteries are worth the extra $ , even though they are heavier than the small ones, they even have a 6 amp now I believe

GeorgiaGlockMan

I like the milwaukee tools for pro use.

I'd guess it's what 90-95% of pro milwrights, electricians and maintenance teams in my industry use (corded and battery).

Oddly the one exception... seems to be alot of "one-of" dewalt die grinders in milwaukee job boxes.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I am up to my eyeballs in DeWalt 20V.

you can buy an adapter and plug a 20V battery into 18V tools.
Yep. Priced those and 20V batteries but also wanted to jump to brushless, hence my switch. I was able to gift my two DeWalt tools to a family member who had good 18V batteries.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Ryobi here - chainsaw (small), polesaw, skilsaw, Sawzall, drill, hammer drill, impact wrench, weedeater, blower, fan.
Love 'em.

Geffellz18

I also use Ryobi 18v impact driver and drills at work, daily, they do hold up to daily use !

I haven’t had any issues with my Ryobi tools. Doubt i’m at the @transfixer level, but I too have several of their tools-20+ easily of their 18v and 2-3 40v tools. All perform as expected.
Had a tire repair shop see my 1/2” impact in the trunk when I went to get a tire swapped out and asked if I used it to remove the wheel. I said yes, use it all the time and even use it removing/installing hubs, spindles, etc too, but not sure it would hold up to every day commercial use.
He commented that it must be pretty powerful then.
I now stand corrected!

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I am up to my eyeballs in DeWalt 20V.

you can buy an adapter and plug a 20V battery into 18V tools.
You will like the 20V DeWalts. I upgraded from the 18V to the 20 last year. Still have the 18 and they work but 20s are lighter weight and the circular saw is terrific. The 18V circular is useless.

earlthegoat2

Just to be pedantic, and also just because I am getting vibes that some folks don’t know this, Dewalt 20V is actual 18V.

They just use 20V as their product line that use lithium ion batteries (which is also stated on the products) as opposed the the 18V which were NiCad. Other companies just use 18V and Li ion designation.

This info blows a lot of people’s minds when they find out but the same thing happens when I tell certain folks that the Benelli M4 is gas operated and not recoil operated (Inertia) like the rest of their product line.

I use Milwaukee 18 and 12V at work and Dewalt 20V at home.

I have a bunch of experience with Ryobi as well and would recommend Ryobi for your uses. They are an incredible value. They are nearly a pro grade tool at a homeowner grade price. They offer TONS of tool options as well. My only complaint is their batteries seem to go bad faster. The his matters little though because they are so much less expensive as well. You can get refurb batteries for $40 at those refurb stores. I have one around here.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just to be pedantic, and also just because I am getting vibes that some folks don’t know this, Dewalt 20V is actual 18V.

They just use 20V as their product line that use lithium ion batteries (which is also stated on the products) as opposed the the 18V which were NiCad. Other companies just use 18V and Li ion designation.

This info blows a lot of people’s minds when they find out but the same thing happens when I tell certain folks that the Benelli M4 is gas operated and not recoil operated (Inertia) like the rest of their product line.

I use Milwaukee 18 and 12V at work and Dewalt 20V at home.

I have a bunch of experience with Ryobi as well and would recommend Ryobi for your uses. They are an incredible value. They are nearly a pro grade tool at a homeowner grade price. They offer TONS of tool options as well. My only complaint is their batteries seem to go bad faster. The his matters little though because they are so much less expensive as well. You can get refurb batteries for $40 at those refurb stores. I have one around here.
I don't really give a flying crap about all that. It works, and works well. That's all I care about.