BBQ place I Recommend - Hickory Stump BBQ

DannyW

This makes the 3rd time I have stopped at this little BBQ place and I would like to give them a shout-out. Hickory Stump Barbeque is located at the intersection of Hwy 17 and Alt 255, about halfway between Clarksville and Batesville. It’s a small place, maybe 12-15 tables, but they have consistently good BBQ and sides.

I stopped by there again this week and had the pulled pork plate which includes 3 sides…in my case this was potato salad, baked beans and Brunswick stew. Everything I had was above average, including the sweet tea. And the plate is only $8.50 (tea was $1.25 extra).

Small gripe…they don’t offer, or even have, saltines to eat with the stew…bring your own I guess.

The BBQ business is a tough one. Are there better BBQ places in the state? Sure…after all BBQ is a subjective taste with some highly qualified contenders. And I have places I like better. But at $8.50 a plate including 3 sides this place offers a real value.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Hickory Stump BBQ, nor do I even know who owns it, although I suspect it is the guy in the apron who came out to ask us about our meal.

Enjoy if you are in the area.

DannyW

sounds like its near Mark of the Potter?

Not far...maybe 3-4 miles.

The Mark of the Potter mill was my great-grandfather's place...spent many hours as a kid crawling around inside the mill and feeding the fish in the river. My great-aunt, bless her heart, would not allow me to fish in that pool below the mill. :mad:

GoldDot40

I've often found that the smaller places have the best BBQ. The best BBQ I've ever had to this day...a guy running a package store about 25 years ago got some permits and sold BBQ out of his store. Typcial to-go plates with pulled pork, slaw, stew, a couple slices of bread and chips...and his own sauce that 2 grown men would fight to death over. It was awesome...so awesome it got overwhelmed when the word spread.

He ditched the package store and moved into a medium size restaurant. BAD IDEA. The larger quantities messed up his "touch". Everything about it changed. It was still decent food, but nowhere near as good as it was when he was cooking and selling small quantities.

But yeah, those small hole in the wall joints are usually impressive.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Small gripe…they don’t offer, or even have, saltines to eat with the stew…bring your own I guess.

although I suspect it is the guy in the apron who came out to ask us about our meal.

Enjoy if you are in the area.[/QUOTE]
Did you tell him crackers would be a great addition to the stew? If not then he will never know about it.Constructive criticism makes for better service.

DannyW

Just past the Dollar Gentral as you head toward Helen.

There you go...probably more accurate to say between Clarksville and Helen...I said between Clarksville and Batesville because we always turn at the BBQ and go on up through Batesville.

Duff

I've ate there a couple of times. Not bad at all. I'll go back