Beautiful Morning

Glenn

Woke up at 3:45 am and looked at the radar to see a lot of rain covering Blue Ridge WMA where I had plans to hunt. Not really wanting to deal with rain and slick mountain roads, I decided to take a chance and try a Paulding County WMA that I've never stepped foot on before.

Did some quick views of the map and Google Earth and decided on a couple areas to check out.

Went to the first spot that looked promising to find some open hardwoods and steep terrain. Loaded back up in the truck and went to spot number two that had a lot of pine ridges running down into a hardwood bottom. I wasn't out of the truck two minutes when I heard a distance gobble straight back in front of my truck. So I grabbed my gear and began hoofing down the closed road.

Walked about 1/4 mile and stopped to listen, and he hobbled again still in the same direction. Walked another 1/4 mile and he gobbled again, but this time he was back behind me in the hardwood bottom where the pine ridges ran down to. I walked back down the road about 100 yards and started decending down through the pines on a ridge.

I stopped at the highest point where o could see down into the hardwoods and could tell that the bottom went straight up at the end of the pines. So I pulled out my Lynch Box call and cut a series of yelps only to be cutoff by the gobbler. He was straight in front of me on top of the hardwood ridge.

So I grabbed a pine and sat down to begin the game...

The next 30 mins was a textbook turkey hunt. I called very softly and then would do some yelps on the box call. Before I knew it I could see a White head moving up the pine ridge to me and closing fast.

He got to 40 yards and I dropped him with the 20 gauge.

He had 11" beard and 1" Spurs.

Attachments

• IMG_6359.jpg
    IMG_6359.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 828
  • IMG_6360.jpg
    IMG_6360.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 821

erhunter

Exactly! I'd take them any day of the week and twice on Sundays...;)

Is 11in beard common on 2 yr old? Can y'all tell it's 2 by the fan? Maybe I'm missing something in the post.

Great bird! And on public land no less? Great job sir.

turkeykirk

Congratulations. Those sure are some great pictures!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Congrats on a great hunt...........amazing how many hunts that end up with a harvest, happen so fast!

This will be my year::;

Glenn

Got it, this is new to me, so after jake year, beard length is a up in the air?

I've killed long bearded birds with no spurs at all and birds with 4" beards and 1 1/4" Spurs. Beards can get beard rot, cutoff from fighting, and other issues.

Spurs break off fighting or from fungus if there is a lot of water.

To me as long as they gobble and put on a show I'll give them a ride home.

erhunter

I've killed long bearded birds with no spurs at all and birds with 4" beards and 1 1/4" Spurs. Beards can get beard rot, cutoff from fighting, and other issues.

Spurs break off fighting or from fungus if there is a lot of water.

To me as long as they gobble and put on a show I'll give them a ride home.

Amen!