Beaver trapping

Mackie889

Hi everyone... absolute newbie trapper here and was hoping to get some advice on trapping some beavers on my land. I bought a couple of 750's (I think), cut a couple of holes in the dam and set the two traps. I tactually caught one but it swam off with the trap. Hopefully he is deceased! That was my first lesson ... use a much longer t-handle piece of rebar as an anchor. Can you offer any advice on how you experts catch them? Thanks for any replies!

Doug B.

Hi everyone... absolute newbie trapper here and was hoping to get some advice on trapping some beavers on my land. I bought a couple of 750's (I think), cut a couple of holes in the dam and set the two traps. I tactually caught one but it swam off with the trap. Hopefully he is deceased! That was my first lesson ... use a much longer t-handle piece of rebar as an anchor. Can you offer any advice on how you experts catch them? Thanks for any replies!
First of all, did the beavers fix the dam back where you made the sets? Are you sure that you caught the beaver? The reason I'm asking is because they will push mud and sticks and other stuff to fix a dam break. Is it possible that your trap is still there but covered up?

I personally like drowning rods that I make out of rebar. They work great if the bottom is not rocky and if the water is deep enough to drown them. It has a sliding lock that is attached to the trap and will slide down the rod but won't come back up. I have a nut welded on the rod about 10 inches up from the end so the lock can't come off. I stick the lower end of the rod down in the bottom of the creek/river/lake as far as I can push it and I put about a 30 inch rebar stake in the top end of the drowner. I also have some drowners fixed with chain with a sliding lock that I use for rocky bottoms. I have some weight on the bottom end of it to keep the beaver from pulling it around.

I don't know if this helps you any. There are a lot of threads on this forum that discusses this. Go back and look at some older threads and feel free to ask any other questions. There are some great trappers on here that will try to help you in any way they can.