Been hanging around Carl too long.

Razor Blade

Well , i knew it was bound to happen !! Hanging around Carl too long has clouded my better judgement. I told Carl one day that i was confused , he said there is another way , just walk towards the light " the forge light "
I am in the process of building a blacksmith's shop. Now , as of today , i have all the stuff to make a good start on it. I have been gathering some of the things that i need.My dad loves to go to estate sales, yesterday he found this complete set up. Its an old Buffalo forge. Everything comes off and stores on the inside, with a lid that closes to keep it all together. Even the legs go inside , if you were to move it . It has carry handles on the outside. I am not sure when it was made , some of the guys there said they thought maybe back in the 30's, and that it may have been made for something like the military , so it would pack up and move easy. It even has two little doors on the side , i guess so that you can put in a longer piece to heat up, and it can stick out thrigh the sides. All the tools and a Buffalo forge blower was in there. There was even a Peter Wright 90 # anvil sitting on an old hickory stump. I will take plenty of pics as this progresses. I am thinking of about a 12 x 12 building and a small shed out on the front. I have enough Kiln dried cypress 1 inch thick boards to build the building from. I want it to look as old as i can. We will see after i get it laid out on the ground what that looks like. I want to have plenty of room inside.

Scott

Attachments

• 053.JPG
    053.JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 658
  • 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    392.4 KB · Views: 604
  • 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 654
  • 056.JPG
    056.JPG
    328.1 KB · Views: 646
  • 058.JPG
    058.JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 604
  • 057.JPG
    057.JPG
    448.2 KB · Views: 635

John I. Shore

Oh, say it ain't so, not you Scott! Turning to the dark side? What is the world coming too?

Just kidding, great find there, keep us posted on the progress.

John I.

Razor Blade

Not really turning to the dark side , just playing with fire.

Sorry , couldnt help it.

Scott

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
You'll get burned if you aren't carefull Scott.

Shug

makes my back hurt looking at that anvil

Razor Blade

Oh , i aint gonna pick it up . I will make my boys move it for me.:whip: :fine:

joe sangster

No ! No! No! Tell me it ain't so . What have you been drinking ? Lay down & take a couple of asprins . With a little luck , maybe it'll pass by morning .

jbrooker

I got just the place for that and you won't even have to move it I will do the work for you. Good find by your pop's. Lets get a fire roaring in it some time soon

oakbend

I can't wait to see more. After you get the new shop set up you can teach me a thing or two about forging too :D

Razor Blade

I will be glad to show you what i know about a forge, it should take about 2 minutes for that lesson.

Anvil Head

Not a bad find at all, Scott. I see the chip you mentioned, no biggie, not really in the way of anything.
Look forward to playing with that set up...looks like a good selection of tongs as well.
Happy for you brother.......come closer to the glow of the fire......
Shug, if that one makes your back hurt, one of mine would put you in the hospital.

Razor Blade

That one will put you in the hospital just looking at it, its a hoss .What does it weigh Carl, 350 ??

I want to try to have everything done with the new building before the guild meeting in May. We can fire it up friday nite and play awhile.

Last edited:

Razor Blade

I got just the place for that and you won't even have to move it I will do the work for you. Good find by your pop's. Lets get a fire roaring in it some time soon

Yeah , hes great in many ways. He came in today and said , i want to show you what i found sat. Now get it outta my truck. :D

He grew up in his uncles blacksmith shop turning a crank about like that one , or pumping on the billows. He said it brought back many old memories. I thought it would be cool just to have one. It will be fun to work with during the colder months of winter. Scott

Anvil Head

The anvil in my avatar is only 110# Haye-Budden. My current sweetheart is a 286# H-B, been feeding her too much and she's put on weight (or so it seems when moving her!). Been looking at her grandma - she's bustin' the scales at 500#, still dickering on the price. Lord, does she sit a stump! No stake downs necessary.
My wife says I have too many, but I'd upset the cosmos if I started moving all my metal plunder around. Maybe a few miles north would solve the "global warming" issues though.

Yeah, hangin' with me is sort of like poking around in the poison ivy patch.......you'll get the itch sooner or later!

arcame

its about time scott, welcome to the real world.

Nugefan

swesome find .........:cool: :cool: :cool:

RLo

Scott it was only a matter of time, but sure nice to have the equipment start if you're fallin' off the wagon.:bounce:

wvdawg

Staff member
Don't you go starting a fire in that thing - you still got grinding to do!!!
Nice find - congrats.

Razor Blade

Hey Denny , no fires for a little while. This is just going to be something to play with. I wont be taking any orders for awhile . I have some learning to do yet with the forge. I want to get the building all the way done, and all fixed up before i even start anything in the shape of a knife. I think i want to do other things on the forge along with knives and hawks. Today dad and i went out to his antique " truck " and found a nice post vise, an old hand drill, some old punches and cutters for the vise, and a bunch of old stuff that will look right at home hanging on the wall inside the blacksmith shop. As soon as the weather allows we are gonna start getting the ground leveled up, and start the building. It will be a nice work in progress to show here. I will enjoy working on it with dad. Scott

carver

Real nice Scott,I know you will do the old ways right.