best and worst BASS boats

badkarma

I have only been in a few brands, but I like my Stratos. I have heard that the quality on the new ones isn't what it used to be. On another note, my buddy went and toured the Phoenix facilities last week. He was VERY impressed with the boats. He was amazed at the accessability of the workers in the plant to answer any questions you had. I have not been in one, but I sure want to.

BASS1FUN

I own a skeeter and love it, always wanted a gambler. I've been in a lot of different models with the nitro being the worst ride. I've been in 3 different tritons (2 tr19 & 1 tr21) thats when i decided that its the driver sometimes and not the boat but the tr21 had the worst ride out of those 3. I might buy a ranger next and it won't be a z series.

Bnathanb1982

where

I have only been in a few brands, but I like my Stratos. I have heard that the quality on the new ones isn't what it used to be. On another note, my buddy went and toured the Phoenix facilities last week. He was VERY impressed with the boats. He was amazed at the accessability of the workers in the plant to answer any questions you had. I have not been in one, but I sure want to.

where is the phoenix plant located at?

charliecfh

My wife and I test drove a Bass Cat Cougar last year, and were thoroughly unimpressed. We were beat to death by regular bass boat wake and she was sore for a week! She put her foot down and said I could NOT have one of those, haha. But there are a lot of good boats out there, and a few bad ones (Nitro gets my vote), but I ultimately decided on the Phoenix 618.

The 618 has a 96" beam and is a super stable fishing platform...and like it's 19 and 21' counterparts, it has the slots for 23, 3600 Plano boxes and 7, 3700s in the bow along with standard features that would be optional on other boats. It has two separate, lighted livewells with pump in, out and recirc. Aside from the bells and whistles, it has a TON of legroom behind the console. I'm pretty tall, and this was an issue with the other brands because I would not be able to use a hot foot.

The handling and smoothness of the ride is phenomenal for an 18' boat. The thing absolutely turns on a dime. The day I picked it up, I went to Guntersville on a busy Saturday afternoon and ran it for two hours with my wife, who was 7 months pregnant. We were going slow, but effortlessly cut through some rough water that would have been downright painful in that Bass Cat or my old Astro.

The customer service is top notch as well. I've been to the plant three times, and everyone up there is just great. Business is booming for these guys, and I can can certainly understand why.

badkarma

where is the phoenix plant located at?

Tullahoma, TN. They bought the molds from the old Bumble Bee company & molds. They make a Bee Line series based on those models, but the flagship is the Phoenix. Has one of the best storage ideas I have ever seen. Depending on the model, they have a lazy susan type turntable that houses about 8 plano type boxes. They really thought about the backseater with their own rod box in the back. Very nice stuff.

riprap

I own a skeeter and love it, always wanted a gambler. I've been in a lot of different models with the nitro being the worst ride. I've been in 3 different tritons (2 tr19 & 1 tr21) thats when i decided that its the driver sometimes and not the boat but the tr21 had the worst ride out of those 3. I might buy a ranger next and it won't be a z series.

I test drove a Z21 at Guntersville. It was fast, but we were setting in the middle of the lake looking at the electronics and there was a small chop on the water. The water was slapping the side of the boat and I was getting a little wet. I was going to spend a lot of money and getting wet was not an option. You have to hit some pretty big waves to get wet in the 520 or the 208 as they call it now.

charliecfh

Tullahoma, TN. They bought the molds from the old Bumble Bee company & molds. They make a Bee Line series based on those models, but the flagship is the Phoenix. Has one of the best storage ideas I have ever seen. Depending on the model, they have a lazy susan type turntable that houses about 8 plano type boxes. They really thought about the backseater with their own rod box in the back. Very nice stuff.

All of the current models have the turntable, and it holds 13 boxes. The 3 rod boxes have slots for 24 rods, 20 up front and 4 for the co-angler. The co-angler can also secure up to 7 rods on top of the ramp with this rack: 2010 Phoenixs.jpg

To install the 2nd console, pop off the rack, drink holder and the plastic Phoenix plate, slide the console into the three points, lock it in and you're good to go.
DSCF2006s.jpg

The bad thing about the console, besides losing floor space, is that little rod box is difficult to use when it is installed.

Coon Krazy

I just recently baught an Astro! For what I paid for it and with the shape its in I love it! It rides great...Handles great....Takes the waves great! But for some reason it aint as fast as it should be with the XR6 on it! I think it might be the prop though!!

Gunny146

Best: whatever boat I'm fishing out of
Worst: the one sittin' on the trailer at the shop

badkarma

All of the current models have the turntable, and it holds 13 boxes. The 3 rod boxes have slots for 24 rods, 20 up front and 4 for the co-angler. The co-angler can also secure up to 7 rods on top of the ramp with this rack: View attachment 539643

To install the 2nd console, pop off the rack, drink holder and the plastic Phoenix plate, slide the console into the three points, lock it in and you're good to go.
View attachment 539644

The bad thing about the console, besides losing floor space, is that little rod box is difficult to use when it is installed.

Very nice, sir. The one I saw didn't have the passenger rod rack for some reason. How does she ride?

Team3D

Ranger Z521 gets my vote! Out of the 2- z20's and the 2- 520 I've had the z521 is by far the best!!

sogafishin

I have a 1997 Nitro Savage 884 and love it.I have many many miles or riding up and down the Suwannee River with no problems at all.Very dry ride never gotten wet.Great boat for a weekend warrior.Still runs and looks like new.I know there are better boats out there but the old Savage does exactly what I need it to do in a hurry.

Corey

Yall can have them tricked out boats, I will take my
97 Bass Tracker with the 40hp Merc..What makes it so
great is its paied for :)

sogafishin

Yall can have them tricked out boats, I will take my
97 Bass Tracker with the 40hp Merc..What makes it so
great is its paied for :)

Im with ya brother paid for boat always works better especially when its sitting in the back yard waiting to be used.

Rattlecrap

My 14' aluminum "whatever" boat is my favorite, has a 1980 mercury motor and runs a scalding 18 MPH wide open! leaks a little but that is just a battle scar.

ErikD

If I ever have the cash I will own a skeeter, but with that said the phoenix boats look like they are going to be super nice boats. I would love to fish out of one for a day. But my all time favorite boat was a Cobra by Viper boats. They went out of business due to a gel coat issue and I think Legend has the mold now. Those boats were super manueverable handled rough water awesome.

371V

Champion has the best ride hands down and I've rode them all...... With that being said, they are almost boring to drive because they stick so well and don't really "walk" at all....

Someone mentioned KVD and others riding whoever would pay the most. Genmar went out and Skeet & company kept running them anyway. That says allot in this day and time. I guess there going to make a Champion series of the Stratos now under the restructuring of Genmer. Which is fine as long as that hull is under it...

Just my .02