Best arthritis med for dogs?

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Our Shepard is 12 years old & really struggling. His right hip gives him a fit. He has trouble rising & at times his hip will go out on him while walking.
Just wondering if there's a good OTC joint med for arthritis?
He currently takes Glycoflex but it doesn't seem to be helping.

He's been such a good & faithful companion.
I'm just trying to delay the inevitable.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
We have had good luck with a couple of dogs with a milk based product named Duralactin. It doesn't work for all dogs but did a good job for us on an old Rottweiler and a couple of old Golden Retrievers.

pjciii

2024-03-1213.01.299191110164480141080.jpg
2024-03-1213.03.121943292631966220395.jpg
This is what my vet gave me to try on my great Pyrenees. It is one of those new things. It either works or it doesn't. Mine was to far along for it to help her. We still do 100mg prednisone 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. At this point she is still hobbled up in the evening.
Good luck. For me it is hard to watch but she doesn't appear in pain. Every now and then she stumbles

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Our grandson has a lab that benefited from Gabapentin. They gave it to her for her final 3-4 years.
Good pain killer, used widely on dogs with arthritis. Same drug is
used on people for shingles.

Redbow

There is a product called Extend in pill form I think. I have heard it will help dogs who have joint problems. I gave my old lab Meloxicam for a time when she got bad joint problems. It helped for a while hip dysplasia was her problem.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
There is a product called Extend in pill form I think. I have heard it will help dogs who have joint problems. I gave my old lab Meloxicam for a time when she got bad joint problems. It helped for a while hip dysplasia was her problem.
Another people safe good arthritis drug.

4HAND

Staff member
Are Gabopentin, Durolactin, or Extend OTC or prescription?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
No prescription needed for Duralactin just shop around for the best price.

HermanMerman

One of my goldens is 14. She gets cosequin and fish oil supplements every day. She still struggles but it’s better than it used to be. I’ll give her an aspirin if she’s out and about for a while… seems to make the next day a little more manageable.

4HAND

Staff member
He loves the Cosequin. Scarfed it right down. Maybe it'll help him.
As much as Voltarin has helped me, I'm tempted to rub some of that on him if I knew it could penetrate his fur.

MudDucker

Staff member
Good pain killer, used widely on dogs with arthritis. Same drug is
used on people for shingles.

If it makes a dog as loopy as it made me, I wouldn't advise it. That stuff packs a whammy.

HermanMerman

Watching a four legged best friend get old is tough. I got lazy the other night and went upstairs to bed and left her on the couch. I heard her slide down the steps about an hour later. I will carry her up and down from now on.

georgia_home

Gabapentin is also used for RLS restless leg syndrome …

Paleo

Dump Trump Movement CEO
I've got no recent experience but back in the 70s-early 80s my father had a field trained black lab and when she got old a single 325mg aspirin was like a wonder drug.