Best Beginner's Book on Fly Fishing?

Tight Lines

Since it's been a minute since I started fly fishing, curious if there are any recommendations for an all encompassing book on fly fishing for beginners?

I bought a recent graduate a starter set today at The Fish Hawk, and want to send a book along with it. I gave my old backpacking for beginners book away recently to another new fly fisherman so curious if anyone has a a suggestion.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

Scout on his was to The Fish Hawk. There is nothing more he loves than riding in the Jeep. Well except for sticks... :)

IMG_9153.JPG

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
For technical stuff, YouTube. For entertainment, John Geirach or Harry Middleton.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Best I can tell you is give them this address and let them ask questions from some of the best natural fishermen here. One can learn more here now a days than reading any book... the folks here can recite the books and know what works and what don't.. glean what one can from them.

Tight Lines

Best I can tell you is give them this address and let them ask questions from some of the best natural fishermen here. One can learn more here now a days than reading any book... the folks here can recite the books and know what works and what don't.. glean what one can from them.
I don't disagree, but this is a freshmen in college in Iowa...he is likely mostly focused on school but will enjoy getting into fly fishing...I hope so...I have some books to send him that are fiction such as A River Runs Through It. I'm hoping he gets into the sport since he loves fishing...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, YT is the best place on the planet for technical details...so many great contributors there...
Orvis has a whole slew of really good instructional videos.