Best way to rehab crumbling grave stone

westcobbdog

IMG_5877.jpgIMG_5857.jpgIMG_5857.jpgIMG_5872.jpgIMG_5871.jpg
This is the grave of my GGGG Grandmother, Flora Ferguson Stone, 1771-1858. She is buried in a family cemetery in what used to be my family farm, now the land is dissected by I-285. It is a qtr mile above the Camp Creek bridge over 285. The Cemetery is inside the 285 right of way but somewhat fenced. Hoping for suggestions on how to rehab and preserve this grave and to also identify it for all time without breaking the bank. I have been fighting to reclaim the cemetery from nature by cutting back briars and kudzu for months on end. Soon will have to deal with the massive fallen oak, too. Still around 20 hidden unmarked graves.

specialk

had a family member dealing with the same thing with a 100y.o. headstone that was in better shape than yours....they ended up replacing it.....good luck!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I hope you find an answer. Count your blessings, a very similar roads project led to my sister being exhumed when the family cemetery had to be moved. We had several unmarked graves of family that went back into the 1800s. It was quite the exercise and dredged up a lot of emotion.

Hillbilly stalker

Might be better off thinking about preservation instead of restoration. Plexiglass box over the marker ?

Jim Baker

Staff member
May be time to replace and try to include parts of the old grave markers. In the 125 year old cemetery where my great grandparents are buried a great many old markers have been surrounded by granite coping with names and dates on the coping and loose gravel spread around the old markers inside the coping. They look pretty good.

I have to go up and spray the weeds and ants a couple times a year.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Just a thought but she lived during the American Revolution.
Maybe look at a historical preservation.
Also, if the concrete "balls" reinforced with shells is original, that's another construction history aspect.

westcobbdog

She was from Scotland but I don’t know where. Guessing she loved the sea with all the shells but who knows. Was gonna try and find or buy a bunch of big shells at the gulf this year on vacation.
Good variety of answers, all with merit. Thanks.

hopper

DIY, kinda on a budget.
Oh. I'm not sure maybe look into a soil stabilizer that can penetrate and hold it together. Maybe gravel lok to buy you some time. Epoxy the loose stones in place and fil in with repair mortar. Just guessing hear. Good luck

westcobbdog

I hope you find an answer. Count your blessings, a very similar roads project led to my sister being exhumed when the family cemetery had to be moved. We had several unmarked graves of family that went back into the 1800s. It was quite the exercise and dredged up a lot of emotion.
Dang that’s tough. Wonder how many small plots got flooded over when Lanier, Toona’, ect..were impounded. This cemetery has about 20 or more rocks that are headstones. most are moss covered and granite. The former leading expert on the history of Atl, Franklin Garrett, met a descendant in the 1930’s on-site and I think urged the guy to diagram what he could remember, and he did.

westcobbdog

Maybe adding another new stone marker?
Glad you still have the cemetery with you family members.
This cemetery is called Ferguson-Stone (the one on 285)
Deer I also do a little work on my Revolutionary war patriot James Thomas’ plot, too. It’s in N Baldwin at the Hancock line.
James Thomas moved to the Savannah River side of Ga in 1760. This plot has a cool metal fence around t. It’s called the Butts Thomas Cemetery. Have a huge cedar to deal with that has fallen on the cemetery.
Also work on my Dads grave site in the Old Decatur Cemetery.
Also there are his parents and 3 more sets of parents.

westcobbdog

May be time to replace and try to include parts of the old grave markers. In the 125 year old cemetery where my great grandparents are buried a great many old markers have been surrounded by granite coping with names and dates on the coping and loose gravel spread around the old markers inside the coping. They look pretty good.

I have to go up and spray the weeds and ants a couple times a year.
what’s it called, I use find a grave or the google machine.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Dang that’s tough. Wonder how many small plots got flooded over when Lanier, Toona’, ect..were impounded. This cemetery has about 20 or more rocks that are headstones. most are moss covered and granite. The former leading expert on the history of Atl, Franklin Garrett, met a descendant in the 1930’s on-site and I think urged the guy to diagram what he could remember, and he did.
My grandmother diagramed it in the front of the family Bible. She did not know everyone. I learned through the experience there’s an office in the state DOT that deals with reinterments. They were very nice people and sensitive to the issues.

BriarPatch99

Westcobb... I have found a bunch graves similar ...some in the family... some not.... I don't know if there is "such" a product... something that could be brushed on or sprayed on to help slow the "rot" of the head stone ...

I use a wood hardner on rotten wood to make it a solid again... looks like there should be such a product for stone/cement...

Waterproof "something".. to keep the water out ...

Deerhead

My ancestors are buried in KS. We went visiting cemeteries 10 yrs ago. We are lucky, all the head stones are in good shape. One even had a picture of our ancestors. They passed away in the 1900. The man's photo look exactly like my dad! Genetics at work. LOL

I have seen many cemeteries throughout GA. Especially Butts & Monroe county. In Butts Co near the Okmulgee river was a confederate cemetery. The others were of early settlers 1700 - 1800's... Sure makes you think about all they went through.