Best way to rehab crumbling grave stone

ngamtns

Maybe talk to a local headstone company. I restored a few headstones last year and a local company sold me the epoxy to bond the broken headstones back together. If any are needing cleaning I would recommend D2 biological cleaner. I purchased from atlas preservation. They also have epoxy and other products that may help.

Attachments

• DDAC9630-92FC-42B9-8E4E-C2ED907CC168.png
    DDAC9630-92FC-42B9-8E4E-C2ED907CC168.png
    208.9 KB · Views: 5

SarahFair

You're going to want to remove the moss, algae, and lichens, I'm not sure how to do it, but I read an article a few years ago stating that these are some contributing factors that lead to headstone erosion.

Last edited:

westcobbdog

My ancestors are buried in KS. We went visiting cemeteries 10 yrs ago. We are lucky, all the head stones are in good shape. One even had a picture of our ancestors. They passed away in the 1900. The man's photo look exactly like my dad! Genetics at work. LOL

I have seen many cemeteries throughout GA. Especially Butts & Monroe county. In Butts Co near the Okmulgee river was a confederate cemetery. The others were of early settlers 1700 - 1800's... Sure makes you think about all they went through.

When the Indians went on the warpath everyone would be forced to flee to the nearest blockhouse. The men would muster in for service in their local militia. Life for those settlers on the Ga frontier was tough enough trying to survive much less fight the red man, too. Can’t imagine surviving long without ibuprofen alone. These early settlers were tough in every way and deserve our utmost respect.

bany

You have some work ahead of you. Cleaning and getting the loose stuff off should be first. Probably fortified mortar and a sealer/waterproofing product will get it looking good and lasting a couple more generations. Redoing that tower (top) will be fun. You should be able to put it back together. I’m wondering if what’s left of the shells will come off without much grief?
Looks like a mortar ball stacked and shells.

westcobbdog

You have some work ahead of you. Cleaning and getting the loose stuff off should be first. Probably fortified mortar and a sealer/waterproofing product will get it looking good and lasting a couple more generations. Redoing that tower (top) will be fun. You should be able to put it back together. I’m wondering if what’s left of the shells will come off without much grief?
Looks like a mortar ball stacked and shells.
Leaving the broken shells there, thinking of using liquid nail to glue in more, maybe late summer.

bany

Leaving the broken shells there, thinking of using liquid nail to glue in more, maybe late summer.
There are a couple of adhesives for cement or mortar you should look into. The two box stores have some products you can look at.

Oldstick

Maybe adding another new stone marker?
Glad you still have the cemetery with you family members.
That sounds like a good idea, especially if you know the dates and such. Lay-in a new stone marker right there next to the original remnants.

Last edited:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Dang that’s tough. Wonder how many small plots got flooded over when Lanier, Toona’, ect..were impounded. This cemetery has about 20 or more rocks that are headstones. most are moss covered and granite. The former leading expert on the history of Atl, Franklin Garrett, met a descendant in the 1930’s on-site and I think urged the guy to diagram what he could remember, and he did.

Wow, Franklin Garrett - there's a name from the past. At this point you might be better off placing a new granite headstone but keep the original in place for historical/sentimental value.