Big Coachwhip

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Musta had a hot date on the other side. What did you catch

One channel cat around 5 pounds or so, and what looks to me like a shoal bass-spotted bass hybrid, about 2 pounds. It has the coloration of a spot, tooth patch like a spot, but the smaller mouth of a shoal bass.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
One channel cat around 5 pounds or so, and what looks to me like a shoal bass-spotted bass hybrid, about 2 pounds. It has the coloration of a spot, tooth patch like a spot, but the smaller mouth of a shoal bass.
You’re gonna give Mr Cat and Mr Hybrid a dip in hot grease ain’t you? Let’s see and some puppies and cheese grits with Key Lime pie to finish?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never seen a wild coachwhip. That's one I've always wanted to see, along with an indigo, and a pine snake, and a EDB.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Nic I think I’ve told you this story before but some haven’t heard it and it seems like a good time to tell it.

Back when I was a little kid my daddy had gone fishing but hadn’t taken me, I was somewhere else or something, and on the way home a big coachwhip crossed the road in front of him. He jumped out and got to him just as he was headed up a bank on the side of the road. He raked him down the bank and the snake would start back up it and back and forth like that a few times. He finally caught him and put him in a five gallon bucket in the back of the truck and started on for home.

While he was driving he would look in the rear view mirror ever so often to make sure that snake wasn’t getting out. He was about halfway to the house when he felt something like somebody putting their hand on his shoulder. He looked down and that coachwhip’s head was right there. Right about then he crawled right down my dadddy’s chest, into his lap, and down around his feet in the floorboards. Then he started trying to go up under the dash.

By then my daddy had pulled over and was worried about the snake getting up there under his dash somehow and him not being able to get him out. He kept a two by two in the back of his truck and reached for it and finally managed to take the coachwhip out of his truck. That was the end of my daddy catching snakes. The dang thing crawled out of the bucket and through the open window.