Poor Turtle

oldfella1962

Friend of mine drug one about the size of a dish pan out of a lake in Pine Mountain and let his rod get too close... ended his fish'n the rest of the day. We couldn't keep his 7 year old son away from it so I grabbed a hoe out of the back of my truck and stuck in in front of that turtle and told the boy "Think of this as your leg bone."..it cut that old hickory handle in half in a blink of a eye... "boy" is near 40 now and still won't get close to a little box turtle.
:eek:

lampern

Snappers are pretty much the only water turtles we have here in the western NC mountains, too, except for a few softshells in a couple of very localized places.

Lake Adger and Lake James have cooters and some big ones.

Not sure about west of the continental divide.

Mexican Squealer

It’s funny, the gators and moccasins don’t “bother” me working around ‘em at the crawfish farm…but on more than one occasion I have stepped on something big that walked with me on its back. Always waiting for that sucker to grab me by the ankle.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
It’s funny, the gators and moccasins don’t “bother” me working around ‘em at the crawfish farm…but on more than one occasion I have stepped on something big that walked with me on its back. Always waiting for that sucker to grab me by the ankle.
May I refer you to post #20?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Lake Adger and Lake James have cooters and some big ones.

Not sure about west of the continental divide.
I wouldn't call either of those in the mountains, they're foothills reservoirs. Adger is below 1000', and James just barely at 1000'. Whole different scenario than the lakes up in the mountains themselves.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Friend of mine drug one about the size of a dish pan out of a lake in Pine Mountain and let his rod get too close... ended his fish'n the rest of the day. We couldn't keep his 7 year old son away from it so I grabbed a hoe out of the back of my truck and stuck in in front of that turtle and told the boy "Think of this as your leg bone."..it cut that old hickory handle in half in a blink of a eye... "boy" is near 40 now and still won't get close to a little box turtle.

Sorry boss, I'm gonna be the one that calls you out on this one. Good story, but I don't buy it.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Sorry boss, I'm gonna be the one that calls you out on this one. Good story, but I don't buy it.
It may take me weeks to go through all of the old pictures I've got in storage from in back in the 80's but I'll find the ones from that Easter weekend and show you.

Bigbendgyrene

A throwback to the dinosaur days near about. I`ve seen a few, and like the Indigo and 7 foot diamondback, they are most impressive.

Guessing like many on the forum, I've been stomping around woods, creeks, and ponds since I could walk (over 50 years now), and just a couple of encounters have left me in awe / feeling like I'd stepped back in prehistoric times.

One was dropping a 8' alligator off for skinning at a local processor... he told me just to pull it into his big walk-in cooler, and when I opened the door he had the head from a 13' gator in the cooler. Just the sheer size of the head alone in comparison to a pile of other 8', 9' and 10' gators in the cooler was other-worldly.

The other experience was looking out the window at my parents' place when I was a teen and seeing a MASSIVE turtle crossing a dam between two ponds. I took off running to see if I could intercept it, and when I got to it I quickly thought better than trying to keep it from going wherever it darn well pleased. Remember it as having a head bigger than my own, and again looking dinosaur-like relative to any other snapping turtles I had seen before (and had seen a good many). It struck me as something that had to be ancient to grow as big as it had... think that was what struck me the most, was wondering just how old it had to be to have grown as giant as it was.

Living in North Florida, have seen a few big eastern diamondback rattlers that shocked me as well -- one stretching nearly across the entirety of a dirt road, but most shocking was a BIG chunk of one left after getting hit. Wasn't enough of the snake left to get a feel for the actual length but the diameter of the chunk on the road was shocking... would give anything if I could have seen it before being hit.

lampern

I wouldn't call either of those in the mountains, they're foothills reservoirs. Adger is below 1000', and James just barely at 1000'. Whole different scenario than the lakes up in the mountains themselves.

Good point but they are fed by rivers and streams that come down out of the mountains.

You can see the mountains from both lakes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good point but they are fed by rivers and streams that come down out of the mountains.

Yep. Lots of difference in water temps, though. Major difference.

Could be the lack of shallow water, too, and no aquatic vegetation. Some of the lakes here are a hundred feet deep just off the bank in places.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

So does Lake Seminole. So does a lot of lakes.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
That's a common snapping turtle.
Snap'n be'n in it's name is enough for me to give it a wide path.... unless I got the taste for fried turtle that is.. then I'm step'n over it...grab it by the tail a drop'n it in a pot of scald'n hot water... etc.