Black water ponds

Theturtle

BANNED
I have a pond I have permission to fish that’s creek fed dark black water and full of coontail moss but never have a lot of luck other than one time I wore out the bass and jackfish ive tried all kinds of stuff different baits and presentation but usually just end up with a small bass or two the time I did catch a bunch I used trick worms and flukes and the count for the day was ten jack and probably fifteen bass and a bowfin but haven’t had that kind of luck since

Theturtle

BANNED
I was also given this reel I know it’s abu Garcia but is it worth learning how to use ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 15

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I was also given this reel I know it’s abu Garcia but is it worth learning how to use ?
If it's still in good shape.. YEAH! If it's not, won't take a hours worth of work to clean it up and then again.. YEAH!

Hillbilly stalker

Ain’t nothing wrong with a Abu Garcia, one of my favorite shooting irons. The Black Max was a dandy in its day. I have 2 of them.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
It seems to be in working order just needs a little cleaning it’s a little beat up in places but functions good
Have you ever taken one apart? If not, find someone who has. Not that hard, just a lot of pieces that have to go back the way they were. One of the best reels ever made IMO.

GTMODawg

BANNED
I got a bunch of 5500cs from the 80s and I use them to this day. They re bullet proof and I never found a reel I prefer. Ive had a bunch just as good but none any better by a noticeable amount. These were top of the line when I bought them....they weren't cheap for the era....they are really good reels considering some of them are close to 40 years old and still going. I have caught Tarpon on them and they still keep on ticking...I have some high end Shimano's that I have caught Tarpon on and had to replace drag discs. Supposedly designed that way according to The Half Hitch. Maybe but if so the drag design of the 5500c is superior because they are still functioning....