Blackhorn 209 powder

coolbreezeroho

When using blackhorn 209 powder what type of 209 primer works the best ? I have the winchester 777 209 primers but was wondering if I should get regular 209 primers ? Haven't tried out the blackhorn yet but I hope to on Monday.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
MUST shoot regular primers with BH209. I use winchester, but a lot of folks use CCI and a few others

jdmac

-try to find cci magnums. I had hangfire problems with remington sts primers. Had to order the cci magnums (hard to find!)- havent tried winchester but I would rather be a little on the hot side for BH209.

smalljawbasser

i have had several misfires with regular CCI primers. emailed the folks at western powders and they recommended CCI 209M (magnum) primers.

they also said there are known issues with using small flash hole breech plugs (such as my Knight). if yours is one that won't work good, they will tell you how to modify yours, or do it for you free of charge.

i've had some issues with using a propellent that you have to go through all these gyrations with, but the company seems willing to help and has good customer service with.

just know that although the powder has a big following due to it's cleanliness, there are ignition issues if you don't have the right primer and breech plug.

coolbreezeroho

Got the winchester primers. Lets see 1-2 inches of rain today. Wind blowing 10-20 mph. Now that doesn't seem to be good weather to sight in. Monday winds up to 30 mph .....:cry::cry:

jdmac

finally found some winchester 209 primers. 110 gr. BH209 + 250 gr. shockwave = 3 perfect shots @ 50 yds ( 1 in. group). NO MORE HANGFIRES!!! ......... SO FAR. a little windy for those 150-200 yd. shots, think I might wait a while too.:fine:

coolbreezeroho

Congrads to jdmac . I guess I will have to wait till next Monday to see how the BH209 performs. I see a lot of post on hangfires ? How much of a delay are you seeing ?

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Congrads to jdmac . I guess I will have to wait till next Monday to see how the BH209 performs. I see a lot of post on hangfires ? How much of a delay are you seeing ?

you will not have hang fires if you use regular primers such as winchester 209s.

DO NOT USE BLACK POWDER PRIMERS. they are not hot enough.

I am going on 2 years with BH209 and have never had a hang fire...at the range or in the woods

tv_racin_fan

Hang fires can be caused by different things. No sense risking a handgfire by using a primer designed for a different powder IE the muzzleloader primers which were designed to be used with T7 because T7 has a problem with a full power primer and a crud ring. No sense in risking a hang fire by using a rifle or ignition channel not designed for that primer/powder combination. The manufacturer specifies which primers (full power) and which ignition channel designs it is designed to work with. It is up to you to make sure the ignition channel is free from debris which may cause a hangfire.

IF your primer is of the correct type and the ignition channel/rifle are correct and you have cleaned correctly and you have loaded correctly you wont have a hangfire unless something malfunctions.

coolbreezeroho

14 inches of snow outside right now . Seems theres more on the way. Looks like I will be digging this weekend and not sighting in.