Blackhorn 209

SWAMPFOX

I found a 10 oz. container yesterday at my local hook and bullet store. The price, with tax, is about $107. BH209 seems to have a lot of advantages from the standpoint of cleaning as opposed to the need for swabbing and dealing with a crud ring with 777. I'm gonna be using it in a TC Impact .50 with 209 primers.

777, Pyrodex, etc are all a lot cheaper. Am I missing something...besides the money I'll have to fork out for it?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
T7 "crud ring" can be minimized by backing off the charge a bit. In my TC Omega, a 70-80 gr charge cruds up a lot less than a 100gr charge.

I believe that you get a more complete burn with the smaller charge, leaving less crud.

As for Pyrodex, it is a very close second to BP, and I find the clean up no better or worse...

I can't comment on BH209, because I have never used it. At that price I never will, either.. ?

frankwright

I see it online right now at several places for $45.
That would be expensive with Hazmat and shipping so if you could find it locally it would be good.
It has always been expensive, I paid $29 each for three bottles five or six years ago.
My stepson saw some last year at walmart after the season for $10.
I rarely shoot modern ML so didn't need it but I should of had him buy it all to resell still at a good price.

menhadenman

I shoot BH209 these days. Supposed to offer better velocity and consistency from shot to shot on top of just being much cleaner. Some manufacturers offer a special breech plug that is supposed to help with ignition. Guys recommend magnum 209 primers but I couldn’t find any so have a case of regular 209s that do just fine.

I paid about $40 for the last three jugs. Walmart gets it in now and then for that price. Would definitely recommend trying it but not at that price unless you’ve got a hole burning in your pocket.

earlthegoat2

I want to shoot BH209 but the price slams into the wall of diminishing returns.

I actually went back to old school Pyrodex RS in my modern. I do have 10 lbs of FFF I could use too but that is for the 58.

BarnesAddict

Fool me once.............. After the first shortage, I made the decision to never run low again.
Just the other day I received a case from Midsouth, 10 bottles to add to this collection.

NO, I'm not a hoarder. I shoot a considerable amount.

Also, did you know that a charge of 120grs volume and the right bullet, will shoot to 1,000yds accurately????

IMG_2426.JPG

Just stopped by a Walmart in TN. They were getting ready to put Blackhorn out on the shelf ($37). So keep an eye out it will go quick. I herd that Blackhorn is only made for a short period every year and once it's gone it's gone until the following year.

Bought me a new TC Impact a couple months ago to replace the Triumph the crackheads stole (a long story...) and have been searching for some BH 209 ever since. What little I can find is WAY overpriced. Didja know they have also now whittled the jug down to 8 oz instead of the old 10 oz and then jacked up the price?!? Rumor has it when Hogdon bought out Western, they way overpaid for it and is now trying to recoup. They're also mighty proud of that fancy cleaner they make for it, too! I finally said forget it and dug out an old half-jug of T7 that I opened over 4 years ago along with another unopened jug. Figured I'd use the opened stuff to see if it still worked and to 'break in' the new smokepole. And despite what misgivings others have said, that old powder worked just fine. So did the 4-year-old Winchester 209 primers I still had. Boy, I sure wish them was still $16.95 per 100! I fired 6 rounds of 285 grn Barnes Spit-Fire with 120 grns of T7, with nary a hitch. It did smell a bit funkier than what I remember but it's been 4 years since I fired any BP and my smeller ain't been quite the same since I caught the Wu flu back in' 20. POI was a tad high but I reckon I can still hit Bambi just fine from the back porch. Longest open shot from there is maybe 30 yards. Until BH 209 becomes much more plentiful and cheaper, I think I'll just stick with what works.