The "Spit Patch"

Gadget

I use T/C 13 and Bore Butter too, good stuff.

sighted in the 45 Cal Winchester Apex last week; clean the barrel after every shot, If not I don't get a good group.

Just put a Leupold 3-9 x 50 on. I shot a 2 inch group, but would get a flier every once in a while that would put me at 3 or 4 inches.

Last edited:

scott mclain

I took the tc encore to the range this weekend as well. I used the 250 gr tc shockwaves with 2 777 pellets. Shoots about 1" high at 50 yards and 3-4" LOW AT 100 yards. I ran the tc "SPIT PATCH" every three shots. I have 2 questions.
1. Do you think that I should bump it up to 150 grains of 777. To see how it patterns? Or just leave it alone?
2. I thought that I read in the manual that you shouls not use bore butter because it will affect the way that the tc sabot will fly? Any truth to this.

Doyle

Hey DaddyPaul, you aren't using that Encore in Florida for muzzle loading season are you? I know a lot of people use them here, but they don't realize they they are not a "legal" muzzle loader since they can be converted to center fire.

RamblinWreck

Per Hogdon's website, 777 should be measured by VOLUME (of equivalent black powder load), not by weight. I noticed their load data does not go over 100 GN by Volume.

I use an adjustable T/C powder measure set for 120 GN of black powder (verified with a scale), then use it to measure 777 by volume. I think three 50/50 triple-7 pellets would be safe in a ML designed to handle the magnum charges. A guy I shot with at the range yesterday was using three 777 50/50 pellets to charge his 50 cal Encore ML.

Don't know about the bore butter. I don't use it anymore unless shooting lead with real black powder (rarely) or storing the gun between seasons. With 777 I just clean, load, and shoot per the Hogdon website. YMMV

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
we ran a large handful of shots through all three over the weekend with a pre-lubbed patch first and then a dry patch between each Will kill any and all that we shoot at under 17 yards:D

duckbill

I took the tc encore to the range this weekend as well. I used the 250 gr tc shockwaves with 2 777 pellets. Shoots about 1" high at 50 yards and 3-4" LOW AT 100 yards. I ran the tc "SPIT PATCH" every three shots. I have 2 questions.
1. Do you think that I should bump it up to 150 grains of 777. To see how it patterns? Or just leave it alone?
2. I thought that I read in the manual that you shouls not use bore butter because it will affect the way that the tc sabot will fly? Any truth to this.

Scott, that sounds kind of slow. I shoot 100gr of loose Pyrodex over 250gr Shockwaves from a Knight LK93. I don't get any drop at 100yds.
I use a dab of bore butter on my sabots when I load them. It has never affected my accuracy.

DOYLE,
I've never heard of the encore being "illegal" in Florida. A lot of people are breaking the law if it's true. You've got me curious, though.

Doyle

The FL law (see the hunter's handbook) says you can't use one that is capable of firing a centerfire cartridge. I took the hunter safety course last year so I could get onto our local county park. The intructor was VERY specific. He said convertible firearms like the Encore are not allowed during muzzle loader season. As to whether or not that is strictly enforced is another matter.

duckbill

The FL law (see the hunter's handbook) says you can't use one that is capable of firing a centerfire cartridge. I took the hunter safety course last year so I could get onto our local county park. The intructor was VERY specific. He said convertible firearms like the Encore are not allowed during muzzle loader season. As to whether or not that is strictly enforced is another matter.

Thanks for the info. I personally don't use one, but have several friends who do. DP uses one also:huh: .

DaddyPaul

Doyle,
In answer to your question YES I have hunted with my Encore for 3 or 4 seasons down here as a blackpowder rifle. And with all due respect sir if the following is what you and your instructor are referring to I think you are both slightly misinformed?

For hunting deer, muzzleloaders firing single bullets must be at least .40-caliber. Guns firing two or more balls must be 20-gauge or larger. You may not use muzzleloaders with self-contained cartridge ammunition capabilities or possess modern firearms during muzzleloading gun season .

Not sure what a "self contained cartridge" is but I can assure you my Encore doesn't shoot them! I have a buddy who is a game warden down here and I will give him a holler and see what his take is on it. I don't read it at all to say that the Encore, H&R's, New England Firearms, some CVA's etc. are not legal firearms for the blackpowder season given that is the configuration they are in while hunting. Having said that, I have been wrong before! :cool:

DaddyPaul

Waiting on a reply from Captain Brown with the FWC at this very moment! Will report back when I have a ruling.

Doyle

I hope he gives you the thumbs up on your Encore. Those regs are pretty vague sometimes. My instructor may have just been misinformed. In any case, I'm glad to hear you have a contact that can set the record straight.

DaddyPaul

Just got off the phone with Officer James Devan out of the Jacksonville, Florida office (I guess Capt. Brown is too busy to call me back?) and he confirmed what I suspected in that the T/C Encore, CVA Optima Pro Elite, H&R, New England Firearms and any other "switch barrel" guns are perfectly legal to use during our ML season in Florida. He said that it all stemmed from something where people could use some "insert" of some type with a shotgun barrel on some of the H&R guns that made them a muzzleoader? He also said that if they took out that insert then it would shoot a "self contained cartridge" which would be illegal. He did recommend that I leave my centerfire barrels at home while I hunt with my Encore ML. I told him that I usually carry a screwdriver, hammer and punch with me just in case I see a deer out of range of the ML, I can switch over to my .270! Doyle this is not solely intended towards you but I did want to clear up any confusion on this matter! They are perfectly legal to use in Florida.

Doyle

Thanks for getting to the bottom of this. My concern was with making sure an otherwise law abiding forum brother didn't get into trouble with some little-known quirk in the law. Good job and good luck with your muzzle loader hunt.

duckbill

Thanks for getting to the bottom of this. My concern was with making sure an otherwise law abiding forum brother didn't get into trouble with some little-known quirk in the law. Good job and good luck with your muzzle loader hunt.

You did good, Doyle. Now, we all know and it's not just a rumor or gray area.:clap: :cheers: .

DaddyPaul

Doyle,
I know what you were trying to do and I appreciate it. Heck my picture has been in WoodsNWater with my Encore a couple of times and I needed to be POSITIVELY sure about it myself, hence the phone calls I made. It is all good my brother, no offense taken on my end.

DaddyPaul

Finally got my call back from Capt. Brown with the Fl FWC and he drove home the point that "switch barrel" ML's are perfectly legal in Florida so long as they are in their ML configuration during that season.

Gadget

Glad to hear that DP! Now I don't have to report ya for poaching......:bounce:

captainhook

I used some of the new presoaked T7 patches that TC is offering between each shot and they are awesome. They make the loading much easier and they make the accuracy way better.