Blind Calling

Jody Hawk

How many of ya'll will go to an area that you know holds birds and just set up and call? I've killed several birds this way, in fact, I took my biggest gobbler to date using this tactic a few years ago. I've carried folks with me before and we would set up and blind call. I could just tell that they weren't excited about hunting turkeys this way. Now I love calling to a gobbling fool just like everybody else but some days they just refuse to cooperate and you have to try other tactics.

Randy

I do it some later in the year but I am mostly a run and gun type hunter! I do it a lot on Piedmont though.

Junebug

It's funny...folks will sit in a treestand on a wet, cold day for 6 hours waiting on deer but will leave for the Waffle House at 8:15 on a sunny April morning if the turkeys aren't gobbling.

I blind call a good bit and have had good success over the years.

Al33

Ain't nuttin' wrong with that Jody. :)

Sure, it's more fun when you have one to talk to, but getting a blind set up and getting comfy for a wait and see hunt ain't bad at all. Like I have heard said before, patience has killed more turkies than anything else.

Al

deersled

been hunting turkey for 4 years. killed 3 birds,but still not real good at finding birds. never seen a "strut-zone". any ideas on areas to look for?

Junebug

Deersled,
One thing you can do is check logging roads for strut marks. When a gobbler struts he drags the tips of his primary feathers, and leaves marks in sand or dirt areas.

Junebug

short stop

Its all I do once they shut up and dont talk any more ---I sit for hours in a strut zone or river bottom rarely ever move at all --esecially late in the morning or afternoon .. Those birds will come lookin for you if you sit tight it --might take them an hour or two but they come back around . 70 % of the birds I ve shot dont gobble at all . ''

blindhog

Yep, just sit tight. I use a $5 Wallymart sport chair. Sit real comfy for a long time. And still too. Build a blind or nestle into some brush.
Cluck and purr off and on, scratch the leaves. They will come.

Patience ;)