Boat lift

Are there any public boat lifts on Saint Simons? I was thinking about trying to go out to F reef on Friday and that would be the closest place to put in. I usually use the public ramp just over the causeway but the current can get really swift there. Has anyone been out to F reef recently? I was also wondering what might be biting. Thanks.

Hunt75

St simons marina has a lift. I haven’t used it before, but I called them a few days ago. They said it would be $20 or $25 for my 21ft boat. I have been wanting to go out to F reef as well.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Dumb question I’m sure but what’s with the lift? Are the tides so big you can’t use a ramp over there? Or are we talking boat storage?All my experience is gulf related. Thx

Scallen2112

Dumb question I’m sure but what’s with the lift? Are the tides so big you can’t use a ramp over there? Or are we talking boat storage?All my experience is gulf related. Thx
Sometimes yes, the tide can make even launching my 16' aluminum a chore at certain ramps. Larger boats even more so. The other issue is if you want to submerge your trailer in salt water.

Ihunt

When the tide is ripping, the current at the ramp he’s talking about is dang impressive. Very easy to get pushed back into the bridge. Came very close to doing just that myself. Thankful for the bite of a 4 blade prop

Ihunt

Op,
Not sure what kind of boat you have but if it’s a Carolina Skiff St Simons marina will launch it for you but will tell you some Carolina Skiffs may crack on the bow. Just a little FYI.

Thanks for the input everyone. The Saint Simons marine will put your boat in for you (I think $22 up to 21'). Just remember that they are cash only and they stop taking boats out at 5pm. My trip to F reef was a train wreck. It was a little rough coming out of the sound (19' Bay boat) but not to bad. Seas had built to 2-3'. When I got out there I couldn't find the 200' barge listed. Then my GPS trolling motor wouldn't stay connected to the remote so the spot lock wouldn't work. We headed over towards the listed 55' boats and when we got there my Garmin 94sv popped up a warning saying that the transducer had shorted out and was disabled. At that point we headed in and caught a few sheepshead but were pretty limited without the sonar. I live 2 hours away so it was a little disappointing but at least I wasn't at work. Maybe I'll have better luck next time.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the input everyone. The Saint Simons marine will put your boat in for you (I think $22 up to 21'). Just remember that they are cash only and they stop taking boats out at 5pm. My trip to F reef was a train wreck. It was a little rough coming out of the sound (19' Bay boat) but not to bad. Seas had built to 2-3'. When I got out there I couldn't find the 200' barge listed. Then my GPS trolling motor wouldn't stay connected to the remote so the spot lock wouldn't work. We headed over towards the listed 55' boats and when we got there my Garmin 94sv popped up a warning saying that the transducer had shorted out and was disabled. At that point we headed in and caught a few sheepshead but were pretty limited without the sonar. I live 2 hours away so it was a little disappointing but at least I wasn't at work. Maybe I'll have better luck next time.
You will. You got the "bad" trip out of the way. Seems like sometimes anything that can go wrong will!

WalkinDead

Banned
If you don't have Sea Tow insurance, it's a $1000+ tow back to the ramp. It could have been much worse. Been there, done that, had the insurance, with a friend of mine on his 21' boat. That's a bad day on the water.

That was the first thing I purchased for my short offshore trips. Knowing I have Sea tow really helps me relax and enjoy myself out there. You might never need it but the first time you do it is worth it!

dawgwatch

the only issue with using St. Simons marina is going under the bridge at high tide if you have a T-top may not be possible. Just make sure you time things out..

Ihunt

the only issue with using St. Simons marina is going under the bridge at high tide if you have a T-top may not be possible. Just make sure you time things out..

And remember to drop the antenna!!!!

Yep, this is a note to myself. Stupid I was!