Body Grips for Racoon

A&M

I've caught plenty of Racoon as by-catch in my MB550's, but has anyone had any success using Duke 155's body grips in a box or bucket set? I'd rather bump up to the 160, but if I read them correctly the regs prohibit any land traps over 5.75" jaw spread. I don't want to waste time and money on 155's if the 5" x 5" opening isn't enough room to make them commit with their head.

Doug B.

The regulations state that any bodygrip trap over 9.5 inches must be set in water or within 10 feet of water.

Body Gripping Traps
Body gripping traps in excess of 9.5 inches square may be used only in water or within 10 feet of water.

Doug B.

I've caught plenty of Racoon as by-catch in my MB550's, but has anyone had any success using Duke 155's body grips in a box or bucket set? I'd rather bump up to the 160, but if I read them correctly the regs prohibit any land traps over 5.75" jaw spread. I don't want to waste time and money on 155's if the 5" x 5" opening isn't enough room to make them commit with their head.
Oh, and it's good to see you posting in the trapping forum!

A&M

Thanks Doug. Yes, I use 330's for beaver in the water. I'm sure I can use my 330's in shallow water or on the edge of the creek and catch coons even though it would be a little overkill on the trap size. I was just curious to know if anyone had tried the 155's in any sets away from water. Might have to experiment and see what happens, just wish I could legally use the 160's.

Doug B.

Thanks Doug. Yes, I use 330's for beaver in the water. I'm sure I can use my 330's in shallow water or on the edge of the creek and catch coons even though it would be a little overkill on the trap size. I was just curious to know if anyone had tried the 155's in any sets away from water. Might have to experiment and see what happens, just wish I could legally use the 160's.
I have not used the 155's. I don't remember what the measurements are on the 160's but if it's less than 9.5" they are legal on land.

I have caught them in 330's at the edge of the water set for beaver but that's the extent of my body grip trap experiences.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The equivalent of the 220 size is probably the best for coons. I think they're 7"x 7."

A&M

I agree NCHillbilly that the 220 would be the preferred size for coon or opossum, but I try my best to follow the rules.

The GA Regs say:

Body Gripping Traps
Body gripping traps in excess of 9.5 inches square may be used in water or withing 10 feet of water.

No.2 Traps
It is unlawful to set on land any trap with a jaw opening any larger than 5.75 inches.

I would love to interpret that as I can use any body gripping trap under 9.5 inches to trap away from water, but on the next line "any trap" would include body grips. Unless the state is saying that "No. 2 Traps" refers only to foothold traps. Maybe we have a Wildlife Officer watching this thread that could weigh in and clear all this up.

I didn't expect for this thread to turn into a legality issue, I was just fishing for information from fellow trappers about the 155s. Unless I hear otherwise, I'll just stay within 10' of water with my conibears and then I don't have to worry about it.

Hillbilly stalker

I’m all for trapping, dabbed a little in it myself. Bucket sets and body grips do not discriminate, there is no catch and release of non-target species. Sadly several states, including mine, run trapping season and small game season concurrently. That means dogs will be out there. I worry about my little 17 lb Feist every time someone invites me to their club or family land. I can turn him loose from a leg hold. After deer season, but during small game/trapping season is the safest time to run the dogs.

sportsman94

Funny, I’ve never read it like you did. I can 100% see the confusion and now I’m questioning myself! Not that I set many dry land conibears, but wanted to get some 280s for catching otter and beaver in crossovers. May wait for the answer to this now

canine933

Easiest way to know how the law should be interpreted is to call DNR Law enforcement division headquarters in Social Circle and ask them. That eliminates all questions as to what we are supposed to do. Then expect a game warden to come along and totally do the opposite of what they said…lol!!

A&M

Case solved. I spoke with a furbearer biologist with the GA DNR and she double checked with the law enforcement division. Conibear or body grip traps less than 9.5" jaw opening may be used away from water. Would be great if they made that less vague in the regs, but at least they were prompt about getting an answer back to me. Time to save some more turkey eggs.

A&M

Yes the Conibears are a kill trap Hillbilly Stalker. That is a good thing for the target species of which the traps are designed for. Most trappers including myself consider bycatch, especially the neighbors dog or cat to be very unfortunate and certainly not intentional. Catching pets in traps is not the norm, at least that has been my experience.

buckpasser

Case solved. I spoke with a furbearer biologist with the GA DNR and she double checked with the law enforcement division. Conibear or body grip traps less than 9.5" jaw opening may be used away from water. Would be great if they made that less vague in the regs, but at least they were prompt about getting an answer back to me. Time to save some more turkey eggs.

Wow! That’s news to me. I would love the convenience of collecting nest predators that were predispatched. My trapper buddy in Ohio uses bucket sets exclusively and says I’ll never go back.

A&M

I believe that buckpasser! I first saw the bucket sets with 220's on Weibe Trapline Adventures for racoon and skunk in Canada, and they appeared to be highly effective. Then I searched You Tube and there is no shortage of information on the effectiveness of the bucket set. The DNR claims that nest raiders are responsible for the current decline of the turkey population here in GA, so I will do my part to try and thin the herd.

1982ace

Dog proof traps are pretty effective on the coons too if that’s what you are after. Just another option