Bow-Sight Question (Re-Post from Bowhunting Thread)

Fellas, as I was practicing Monday afternoon, my level popped off (see picture).

As soon as I released, I heard something hit the leaves, but didn't pay any attention. Then, when I went to take the next shot, I noticed the level was gone. Since I didn't look immediately, I wasn't able to locate it in the leaves.

Is this a simple fix? Just order a new level and glue in? How would you guys approach this?

Thanks!

*posting here as well for more traction/help

Attachments

• Bow Sight.JPG
    Bow Sight.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 25

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Looks like your level didn't just pop loose, it looks busted. If you don't completely clean out the slot it goes in, it will be difficult to install a new one and guarantee that it's level.

I'm not sure how much you want to spend on it. There are leveling devices such as the one made by Hamskea. It might be cheaper just to buy a new sight. Or shoot with out a bubble...

Hillbilly stalker

I always take them off anyways. They are a useless gadget in bow hunting. I’ve never killed a deer with one. One more thing to distract you when you should be into the shot. I know the purpose of them, but I find no need for them on a 20-30 yard shot. Go ahead and shoot without it a couple days and see how you do. If you feel you must have one, most archery shops have a drawer full of them they will give you. Clean out the pocket it sets in from old glue and glue the new on in.

Kris87

I would never shoot without one on my site, but I also don't limit my shots to 20 or 30 yds. If you do, probably ok without one. You can buy some small cheap ones from Home Depot or Lowes. You're going to want some other type to level up your riser or your string so you can set it properly. I use the ones from RS Archery.

Kris87

If you tilt your bow one full bubble out of the square, at 60 yards, it's easily off 4-6" horizontally. I've tested it plenty of times.

Bubba_1122

Maybe at my age and stage I don’t have the hand/eye coordination that you younger guys have (I’ve also lost a few 10ths of a second on my 40 yard dash time).

Checking the level/bubble is an integral part of my pre-shot routine and reinforces that everything is as it should be. The bubble is the first thing I look at through the peep.

I want it simple, consistent and repeatable and the ONE second (or less) that it takes to look at the bubble helps that happen.

I’d either fix it or buy a new sight if that happened to me ( at my age I just don’t embrace change well).

Last edited:

buckpasser

I have a level. I’ve never looked at it. Maybe I’m ignorant, but they seem pretty useless to me as well. Are you really going to be that “out of plumb” after practicing an appropriate amount to hunt? If so, will you really take time to keep glancing at your little inaccurate level while dialing into the kill spot on your deer? They seem like a gimmick to me. I believe that you’d be off pretty bad if you were leaning enough to get the bubble all the way out of bounds, but who couldn’t tell they were leaning that bad without it???

Ratrzcer1991

I have a level. I’ve never looked at it. Maybe I’m ignorant, but they seem pretty useless to me as well. Are you really going to be that “out of plumb” after practicing an appropriate amount to hunt? If so, will you really take time to keep glancing at your little inaccurate level while dialing into the kill spot on your deer? They seem like a gimmick to me. I believe that you’d be off pretty bad if you were leaning enough to get the bubble all the way out of bounds, but who couldn’t tell they were leaning that bad without it???
You would, unless you purposely do it

Hillbilly stalker

They are pretty much pro shop hype. 3rd axis and all that junk. I can put 8 out of 10 old fixed blade muzzys in a skoal can size bullseye at 40 yards in my yard. I got buddies than can shoot a lot better. I hold myself back to 20-30 yards in the woods. Try it with out it. Depend on muscle memory and practice instead of gadgets. If you were out west shooting 60-70 yards pretty regular...I might look into it. It’s not a “have to” item at normal bow hunting distance in the East. The only way to keep it level is to torque the bow....and we know what happens then.

Kris87

They are pretty much pro shop hype. 3rd axis and all that junk. I can put 8 out of 10 old fixed blade muzzys in a skoal can size bullseye at 40 yards in my yard .

In this case, it's actually 2nd axis. And it's the most important of all the axis when considering a sight is actually leveled correctly.

And that's some pretty phenomenal shooting. Way better than I can do...and I'm a former ASA state champion. I need to practice more.

Bob Wallace

I have one, never really use it. As was said earlier, anchor, release AND a loose grip should keep things pretty dang level. I only shoot up to 40 yards while hunting and I can't aim for the same spot without risking one arrow molesting another arrow from behind.

Hillbilly stalker

In this case, it's actually 2nd axis. And it's the most important of all the axis when considering a sight is actually leveled correctly.

And that's some pretty phenomenal shooting. Way better than I can do...and I'm a former ASA state champion. I need to practice more.

I don’t think it’s phenomenal at all. I know several guys who can shoot better than me. And to be totally honest that was about 5 years ago before I started needing reading glasses and shot year round. But them levels have been around for years. If it helps you, use it.