Braid for bream

Dbender

Anyone use braid for bream/panfish. Tired of line twis and knots on light spinning tackle. Not sure if braid is the answer or not? If you use it, what #lb braid and any cons to using it? I normally use 8lb test mono, can't hardly see to tie a knots in thinner mono anymore.

baddave

My first thought would be use a leader. I'd bet 2' is all you'd need and a swivel

Hillbilly stalker

Here is the answer to your problems with line twist. If you try it you will solve 95% of the trouble. I panfish by chunking small jigs like you cast for bass. This works along with closing the bail by hand. I have used both braid and the old Berkley fire line. They work decent after they have been used for quite a while, but if you get a wind knot they are very hard to get out. I much prefer this method with mono. Richard fishes with 2 lb. mono a lot. He is the only person I’ve ever seen do it this way.

Dbender

Spooling isn't the issue. It sits coiled in a dry garage most of the time. Little short casts twists up the line, just wondering how braid would work and if anyone uses it for bream. If so what #lb?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I use Power Pro 10 lb test braid on all my ultralights and really like it. It outperforms monofilament, especially when you are speck fishing in lily pads. I`m thinking seriously about trying it in one of my heavier weight spinning reels to see how it does.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I like everything about braid except tying knots.
We troll mostly for speckle perch and will have to cut off a hung line a couple of times every trip and wet braid is hard to manipulate though the eye of small hooks an into a knot.
I only use spinning reels.

I fish for Speckle Trout too. Same problem with hanging on bars and snags along grass. The braid frazzles and make re-tying baits difficult for 73 year old fingers.

I have started going back to mono. My two cents worth.

James12

I use Power Pro 10 lb test braid on all my ultralights and really like it. It outperforms monofilament, especially when you are speck fishing in lily pads. I`m thinking seriously about trying it in one of my heavier weight spinning reels to see how it does.

This! I’ve used this for trout too, and if the water is super clear I’ll use a 3-4ft 6lb leader. 15-20lb Power Pro on my bigger spinning reels.

Many folks spool their reels wrong too, meaning they don’t have it come off wire spool onto their reel in the right direction. Many YouTube vids on that as well.

Stick

What Nicodemus and James12 said. I use 10-15# power pro and a 24" 4-6# leader attached with a uni-uni knot, which allows me to break the leader if I need. Same on larger spinning reels for reds/trout in the salt, but typically switch to fluorocarbon there.

Close the bail by hand every cast then pull the line tight on the reel before reeling. It will drastically reduce the line twist. After a day, it will be second nature. Once the line is twisted, strip it behind your boat with nothing attached and idle along for a while, letting it drag on the surface. The entire spool of line... This allows it to untwist and straighten. Reel back on the spool and keep good tension by pinching the line between two fingers and holding the rod tip low to the water. This will save your line and reduce frustrations!

Richf7

There’s a YouTube video of a guy who fixes mono wind knots by loosening the drag and pulling the line out from the top guide. It works for me. Sorry I don’t have a link. Closing the bail manually and using Reel Magic also help a lot.

S.Tanner

I spool my ultralight tackle with 4 or 6 lb test Berkley Fire Line. High vis yellow or crystal. Then add a 6 lb mono leader. Have caught tons of fish of all sizes on this setup. The tiny diameter of the fire line does great on small 500 or 1000 size spools and casting distance is phenomenal. It’s pricey line but typically a $20 spool will fill a reel and I’ll get a couple of years of fishing out of it. No appreciable twist or wind knots. Be aware that when the line has reached end of life, it will break very easily so keep an eye on it after a year or two of use.

krizia829

I have 8lb PowerPro Braid on my light rod and I have 15 and 20lb on my other heavier rods. Never had an issue and they last a long time. Line never snaps either when I get a lure caught up on something