Micro Fishing: The Art Of Using Ultralight Tackle

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Hello all, been a minute since I've come up with another article and I just got my newest set of size 3 rapala original floater minnows and decided why not write about using the small stuff. There are a lot of fishermen that only go for a certain species of fish or who only like to fish a certain way, but many out there also just plain like to catch fish and with as many of you out there who enjoy panfish, this should be right up your alley. So, let's get started!

WHY ULTRALIGHT TACKLE?

The first thing to point out when talking about using the small stuff is how enjoyable it is in comparison to gear we would consider "normal" today. These days, we most fish loud, fast and heavy but there's a lot to love when scaling down. You can cast smaller and lighter baits a lot further and just about any fish big or small puts up a heck of a lot more of a fight on light gear. It's also a multi species thing you can do and enjoy. When most people hear light or ultralight fishing, they have a tendency to think just fishing for bream in a pond or creek but there is much more than that. You can choose any panfish like sunfish or crappies, but you can also bass fish, trout fish, go after white bass, yellow bass, perch, carp, catfish and more using the same tackle and it would give you quite the challenge! It's also a test of skill when scaling down in gear. That same 2lb bass is a lot more of a battle and test of angling skill on 4lb line than on a flipping stick with 50lb braid. Ultralight fishing also commands more appreciation for the fish we catch because it gives them a real chance to showcase their fighting abilities at the end of a line and it really trains you over time how to actually fight fish and successfully land them. This is great for inexperienced anglers because it lays the foundation for building confidence in their ability to catch fish and to be able to battle and land larger fish later on.

WHAT IS ULTRALIGHT FISHING?
To define ultralight fishing, we'll keep things simple and just consider any reels 3000 size spinning or 50 size baitcasting or smaller to be pretty light gear. Likewise, any rods medium light and lighter in power are also considered light tackle. Ultralight gear and even micro light gear is available though for using even the very smallest of baits. I do recommend you spend more on the reel than the rod because you could at any time hook a larger fish than intended and you'll be glad you have a reel with a better and smoother drag system. Spend a little more and get a reel with backreeling capability as well. If your drag fails you or can't be adjusted fast enough, backreeling will help you in a bad situation. Fishing lines down to 1lb test are available and baits weighting as light as 1/200 of an ounce and less than an inch long are out there. Most ultralight fishing is done with a monofilament line, but braid is available as well, with the most popular and arguably the best being Sufix nano braid. This truly is as small as you can get without stepping down to fly fishing and using size 22 and smaller flies or using tackle popular in Japan for Tanago or Bitterling fishing where they're literally trying to catch on hook and line the more overlooked and underrated species like minnows, mosquito fish and such.

WHERE TO FISH ULTRALIGHT

You can use this kind of tackle pretty much anywhere, although it is primarily a freshwater technique to use, as saltwater is a much harsher environment. Any stream, lake, river or pond all have plenty fish you can catch on this kind of tackle. A favorite summer activity of mine which has kind of become a guilty pleasure is to wade small creeks in the summer time and throw light tackle for redbreast sunfish. A good size redbelly on 2lb test is one of the hardest fighting panfish we have in the state! Walking the edges of ponds and casting for large bream and bass is also a very exciting and relaxing way to fish for me. If you've never seen a topwater bluegill bite, it's actually very dramatic! You can scale the size of your tackle up or down to match the fish you're after and really have a lot of fun. It helps that a lot of the natural forage many of these fish are eating in many of our waters are small food items anyway. For example, the threadfin shad in lake Allatoona are notoriously tiny and it's always a good idea to have a very light spinning rod rigged with a small bait to cast to schooling fish at long distance. If you want a real battle and test of skill, try carp fishing with ultralight tackle, or maybe spotted bass, hybrids, striper, or even big trout on the light gear. Whether you actually catch the fish or not, the adrenaline rush you get and the enjoyment of the fight you get are both incredible feelings.

LURES FOR ULTRALIGHT APPLICATIONS

So what kind of lures should you actually use for this kind of fishing? Well there's a much smaller version of most every lure out there today. Anything from grubs to poppers, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, crankbaits and even larger plugs are out there. Personally, I prefer tiny floater-diver crankbaits when chasing bream and bass on light gear and fish them with a stop and go retrieve. I also enjoy digging y ultralight spinners like tiny rooster tails for them. Another reason to ultralight fish is that all of this tackle is very cost effective and pretty cheap for what you get. Rapala has several ultralight lures and even sells an ultralight kit for a fair price. Both Woordens (rooster tail) and Mepps have an ultralight kit as well with spinners. You can find curly tail grubs for less than a dollar at the local store, and many popular brands have the small stuff go on sale more often. Mister Twister lure company will sell you a panfish grab bag of several plastics at a low price as well.

Ultralight fishing is cheap, easy, and just plain FUN! Bream will be getting on bed soon and you'll be able to catch a bunch of them, then summer will be upon us and the light tackle opportunities will be boundless!
Set some time aside and take a kid fishing, or just set some time aside for yourself and unwind and just have fun throwing light gear. Either way, it's all a good time.

RamblinWreck

Pretty much all I use is UL gear, all JDM stuff, even my dock shooter rod. The JDM rods most suitable for GA panfish are ajing, mebaru/rockfish, and stream/area trout rods. I am giving all my USA market rods away to young anglers. I'm ruined, and loving it.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Pretty much all I use is UL gear, all JDM stuff, even my dock shooter rod. The JDM rods most suitable for GA panfish are ajing, mebaru/rockfish, and stream/area trout rods. I am giving all my USA market rods away to young anglers. I'm ruined, and loving it.
I was going to say something about BFS fishing with Japanese gear since shimano just released the curado bfs for the American market for bass, but that'll be another day.

Old Yapper

I was going to say something about BFS fishing with Japanese gear since shimano just released the curado bfs for the American market for bass, but that'll be another day.
You're right about the fun of fishing ultralight. You post interesting stuff. And I do love to wade little, stupid creeks right in the middle of little towns or along the roads. Amazing the fat brim that can come out of those things...and I seldom see any other fishermen. Have to watch out for wasp nests and snakes though.
I just stick a yellow piece of paper inside the car window that reads: NOTICE TO POLICE. THIS CAR ISN'T BROKE DOWN. I AM DOWN IN THAT CREEK WALKING ALONG AND FISHING. IF I AM BREAKING ANY LAWS THIS IS MY CELL PHONE NUMBER xxx-xxx-xxxx PLEASE CALL ME AND I WILL BE RIGHT THERE. I DON'T WANT ANY TROUBLE. (never have had any problem with the law men either)
I'm still chunking for brim, crappie, and shellcrackers with Johnson Century push button reels from 1975, Zebco 44 underspins, and the old reliable Zebco 33 from the same years. Using the same Berkley Cherrywood Graphites I bought at Walmart around 1996. 1/32 ounce jigs drop shotted with a 1/8 ounce bell sinker at the bottom and a live worm tipped on the jig.
My grandchildren have given me some of those fancy shimano UL spinning reels, but all I get is grief when I use them...line twists, jumps off the spool, tangles up, always something. They're okay for longline trolling in my boat on a lake, but I can still "shoot docks" with deadly accuracy using my old fashioned push button Johnson and that Zebco 44 underspin.
I only use 4 pound line and occasionally a dumb bass will get into the show and that is always a trip struggling to get him in and eventually turn him loose.I just don't like to eat bass.
Brim, crappie, and shellcrackers keep my freezers full of good fillets.
That's simple, fun fishing to me. Life is fun for this "old yapper".(y)

Nimrod71

Jer, you have got me sold. I have been fishing for nearly 65 years and I bet I haven't used ulter-lite a dozen times. I have two ultra lite rigs already so all I have to do is go, and thands to you I think I will get them out and go today. I know where a pond is that I have been wanting to try ever since I saw the fish beds while training Barnie. I had a time with him setting on the bank. He could see the fish in the water and he kept jumping in trying to catch them. A good mess of bream would taste good tonight.

Geffellz18

Nice write up and great timing....traveled to Branson for family vacation and only took my light gear to target trout-Left there with my tail between my legs, lol! as I didn’t land anything, but was tough fishing.
Water generation into taneycomo was pretty strong, kicking up algae and causing a strong current and my light gear just wasn’t cutting it. Luckily a guy there showed me how he was rigged up and supplied me with some of his stuff. Had to Carolina rig with much heavier weight than split shots just to kind of hold the bait down. Got some bites then but nothing landed. Was like I was back home fishing the jetties with the setup-I would have never of thought to rig that way for trout-Always learning!
Fast forward to yesterday, on our way home-Had to take a detour to drop the maw-in-law off in OH...So over nighted in Crossville, TN. Knew nothing about the area, but there’s a ton of small lakes to fish there.
Hit one up in the morning, with only my light tackle with me-which other than salmon eggs and trout bait is a plethora of in line spinners from rooster tails, Mepps, silver foxs, Joe’s flies, etc and just a couple micro sized rapalas-like literally 2!
So off I go to try my luck and hopefully heal some wounds from my Midwest shutout!

Had a pretty good morning with a mixed bag of species! Nothing big landed, but had a great morning and to your point, on light gear it makes for a heck of a time.
I lost my only countdown rapala I had with me on a BIG one. Literally a thud, hook set, drag ran a few yards and POP. Line snapped!
Put on the one floating rapala I had but the wind was so bad it wouldn’t act right in the chop, so I tied on a weighted Joe’s fly and cast back out. First cast, slow rolled it back and Smack! Guessing it was the same fish. This time I thought I was ready for a long haul to get the beast in on my 4lb test. Set the hook, lightened the drag a bit and let it start running-keeping the tension on though-it ran at least 25-30 yards, a shake and it was over-Slung the lure. was never able to hook back up with it again.
Now, when I say beast, I’m speaking in relative terms to the gear being used-If a bass, probably over 5lbs IMO. Could have been a catfish too I suppose. One will never know, but made for a heck of a morning for me!
Sometimes it’s those that are never landed that leave the biggest memories-this one will for sure!
Here’s a few of those that were landed however. Once I had a few in hand, I started just changing out lures-Have many that have never seen use before!
Ended up landing a dozen or so in total. The first fish ended up being the biggest one landed.
2145A321-79AA-4C7C-9E98-FC13F0DC055F.jpegCB108F89-72F3-4C35-B664-E2B672B89311.jpeg2A0B9E7B-4054-48B3-837E-6BEFE39200A2.jpeg5E73FEEF-6AA7-4280-831B-DC50CD1BAD58.jpeg519BB863-0D3E-4B03-9CB6-BE48EBC03883.jpeg51EDE7F3-355F-4C3E-BC8B-66F82146DBA5.jpeg

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Ultra light is huge fun. Back in the day I got into it on the Oconee for the crappie/white/hybred run. Loads of fun. I hooked into many hybreds that all I could do after 20 minutes or so was get them close enough to the boat to have a look at them.

My wife owned a home on a small lake that was stocked with catfish and he next door neighbor fed them twice a day. Nearly any time of the day I could cast a flip tail jig on a tiny lead head and hood up. A 3 lb cat on ultralight tacle will take a while to land and is great fun for old folks and kids.

Keep em coming Jeremiah!

RamblinWreck

I caught my PB largemouth, estimated 9-10 lbs, on a 6'6" Major Craft Triple Cross ultralight rod and 3 lb test, while shooting a dock near Laurel Park on Lanier. I was luckily able to get the boat away from the dock into deeper water, and landed the fish. She was released in fine shape.
pbbass1.jpg

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Keeping right along with the ultralight love, I went out today in search of crappie using a light rod, 6lb test mr crappie line, and a 1/16oz spinner. Caught some bream, crappie, and 17 Bass, 6 of them over 2lbs apiece and each one fought like mad! What's better, I was catching fish while others weren't because of my smaller presentation that they don't get to see often while everyone else is throwing the common bass baits.IMG_20210414_135556.jpg Get out and try it, you won't be disappointed!

IMG_20210414_133940.jpg

IMG_20210414_132109.jpg

IMG_20210414_132202.jpg

IMG_20210414_132442.jpg

hopper

About 25 yrs ago I was into Hooch trout between Morgan and Buford. A buddy and I set up a float from Settles to Mcginnis one Saturday. I bought me a shiny new micro setup (kinda new to me then) I was ready to show off. We launched and settled in the canoe. My Buddy was drooling over my new set up and making comments like "man u gonna tear em up" "I gotta get one of those" yep I was feeling pretty proud. I tied on a Panther Martin in gold and black anticipating my 1st cast. This set up was light like holding air. I pulled my arm back for along cast and threw it forward with might to reach a far blow down. The dang rod was so light I forgot to hold on to it. The entire new set up that was admired a second ago now was flying threw the air and headed for the water never to be seen again.
Mad and Funny all at once!!!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
About 25 yrs ago I was into Hooch trout between Morgan and Buford. A buddy and I set up a float from Settles to Mcginnis one Saturday. I bought me a shiny new micro setup (kinda new to me then) I was ready to show off. We launched and settled in the canoe. My Buddy was drooling over my new set up and making comments like "man u gonna tear em up" "I gotta get one of those" yep I was feeling pretty proud. I tied on a Panther Martin in gold and black anticipating my 1st cast. This set up was light like holding air. I pulled my arm back for along cast and threw it forward with might to reach a far blow down. The dang rod was so light I forgot to hold on to it. The entire new set up that was admired a second ago now was flying threw the air and headed for the water never to be seen again.
Mad and Funny all at once!!!

I had a buddy do this in my boat. Had a brand new setup going to try from the front seat. He was fair skinned and got all buttered up with sun screen. Next cast was with the new rig. It flew outta his hand and into the deep part of the pond we were fishing. Never to be seen again.

I think my PB bass on ultra light is a few ounces over 5 lbs on a white rooster tail. I fished the mouth of a creek dumping into a pond after a heavy rain.

Yankee in GA

I put together an ultralight setup a few years ago and have had great luck with it. Mostly casting 2” Bobby Garland shad baits and triple ripple grubs. I have lost a couple of big bass because I’ve been afraid to set the hook too hard and snap my 4lb test line but it’s just so much fun and I can cast all day without my arms getting tired.

I built an ultralight rod last year and put a 1000 size reel with 4 lb mono on it. I fished Lake Lanier when I finished it and caught a bunch of bluegills and several Alabama bass up to 2 lbs with it. It's too soft for bass fishing but I have it in FL now and catch bunches of bream with a 1/32 oz Beetle Spin and an occasional bass.

Attachments

• IMG_1604.jpg
    IMG_1604.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1