Brisket, All Fancy Style... :)

Tight Lines

I know this will have folks turning their noses up...that's fine, I will be eating well...when I am between projects I am the chef in the house...

Seasoned a brisket flat this morning and since it is very lean, I am doing it all French and fancy with the sous vide cooker...run it all day at 134 and then finish it in the oven for 30 minutes to caramelize the outside and let it rest...it will be some kind of tasty with the oven roasted spuds and some broccolini (that's French for little broccoli) :)

Much easier than firing up the BGE and for a piece of beef this size it won't come out tough...

More pics later today...

IMG_9151.JPG
IMG_9152.JPG

Tight Lines

I have been thinking of getting me sous vide, have not pulled the trigger yet. Curious to see how this turns out.
Well, I know some here will poo poo them, but they are excellent for making tender, moist cuts of meat that tend to dry out or get tough. I've done all kinds of stuff with mine...but venison, elk, duck, pheasant, quail, squirrel and rabbit are all excellent. It is essentially the same as low and slow smoking, and with good seasoning and a hot skillet or broiler after it's great. Veggies are good too...slice up pheasant breasts, sous vide them for a while, then buttermilk and flour in a hot skillet rocks...

This brisket will come out as good if not better than off the BGE, and with salt, pepper, Penzy's Steak Seasoning, and a few drop of liquid smoke it's the bomb...

Put it in the oven on a rack after at 450 to put some bark on it and render some fat and it's great...

A 16-oz bone in ribeye to medium rare with a cast iron skillet finish is as good as you've ever had...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You know what you like, and that’s all that matters. Saying something isn’t for me isn’t me pooh-poohing it by the way, it’s just me saying that way of cooking isn’t for me and doesn’t fit my taste and how I like to cook and eat. I’m sure you’re the same with something I swear by.

Tight Lines

You know what you like, and that’s all that matters. Saying something isn’t for me isn’t me pooh-poohing it by the way, it’s just me saying that way of cooking isn’t for me and doesn’t fit my taste and how I like to cook and eat. I’m sure you’re the same with something I swear by.
Absolutely! It's just another way of getting to the same thing...good food! And it's easier to get to good food when I'm busy and don't feel like fiddling with the smoker...I've learned some good tips and tricks from folks on here...I hope sometimes I can return the favor...I still can't make a burger look the way you do, but I'm trying!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Well, I know some here will poo poo them, but they are excellent for making tender, moist cuts of meat that tend to dry out or get tough. I've done all kinds of stuff with mine...but venison, elk, duck, pheasant, quail, squirrel and rabbit are all excellent. It is essentially the same as low and slow smoking, and with good seasoning and a hot skillet or broiler after it's great. Veggies are good too...slice up pheasant breasts, sous vide them for a while, then buttermilk and flour in a hot skillet rocks...

This brisket will come out as good if not better than off the BGE, and with salt, pepper, Penzy's Steak Seasoning, and a few drop of liquid smoke it's the bomb...

Put it in the oven on a rack after at 450 to put some bark on it and render some fat and it's great...

A 16-oz bone in ribeye to medium rare with a cast iron skillet finish is as good as you've ever had...

Next time use Paymaster's Wet Rub and you'll have the perfect brisket flat. ::ke: :bounce:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I've not tried that yet...I kind of do what works for me and has, and as much as I like to try new things, sometimes I am a creature of habit...

Put it on your brisket, let it serenade overnight and you'll never use anything else ever again.

Tight Lines

That wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular by the way. I know lots of purists who don't like the sous vide or other methods e.g. electric smokers. Sous vide has long been associated with school lunches, hospitals, or airline food which is typically horrible, so sous vide has a bi-polar following. It's just another tool to me...it's not magical, but it is useful and helps with lean meats for sure...

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
That wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular by the way. I know lots of purists who don't like the sous vide or other methods e.g. electric smokers. Sous vide has long been associated with school lunches, hospitals, or airline food which is typically horrible, so sous vide has a bi-polar following. It's just another tool to me...it's not magical, but it is useful and helps with lean meats for sure...

My son has one. Works pretty good.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve got to ask. How is this different from boiling meat?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Tight Lines

In the bag (I use Ziploc vs. vacuum sometimes) it retains all of its juices and doesn't mix with the water. And it is never boiled, it is cooking at 134 so it is a low heat...think about cold smoking temps almost...so all of the juices and marinade stay inside the meat and bag vs. being boiled away...

Tight Lines

It's also a very constant perfect temperature...the thermal mass of the water is materially greater than the meat, and there is no oscillation in the temperature...which is why the French and top chefs use it...you can get the perfect doneness before finishing...there is no guessing or variation...that brisket has been 134 degrees all day with the exception of the first 15-20 minutes until it stabilized...after that, it's been a constant 134...