Buckmark issues

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Anybody recommend a good gunsmith to go through a buckmark pistol? Having an issue and it's tedious work. Bob in palmetto said he didn't want to fool with it (fairly typical answer from him). Thx in advance.

Arrow3

I know a fellow by the name of Nick Melton that may take a look at it. Todd Woody highly recommends him. :rofl:

fauxferret

Older model buckmark or newer model? I ask this because it makes a difference when getting parts. What issues are you having with it?

Older model buckmark or newer model? I ask this because it makes a difference when getting parts. What issues are you having with it?
I have issues also with an 8 year old Buckmark , plan to try to disassemble this weekend . Accurate light pistol , just too many FTE.

fauxferret

I have issues also with an 8 year old Buckmark , plan to try to disassemble this weekend . Accurate light pistol , just too many FTE.
So as a gunsmith I’ve seen a lot of these. The usual culprit is the fact it is a rimfire and inherently dirty. So first is to clean everything. Second polish the feed ramp sounds silly but not many companies do this, and you’d be surprised how much this actually makes a difference. Have had multiple rimfire pistoles where that was the only real work that got done and it ran like a top. Third use light oil and oil accordingly. As with anything to much is as bad as too little. There were a few years where we saw really rough slides with burrs that can cause malfunctions. The biggest problem outside of cleaning was the extractor On the bolt. I think tandemkross sells an aftermarket for them or did. I would have one of those installed. The only other problem behind the extractor is the older model buck mark ie early 2000’s is the firing pins broke way to easily. I had to get replacements from jack first in the Dakotas. They probably don’t list it but if you have an older one this is the only place to get parts. Last but not least you can send it back to browning. They have a lifetime warranty either fix it or replace it kinda policy. My only other comment is about ammo and I would try not to use cheap lead head ammo. Look for something with a copper jacket like mini mags. The heeled bullet design can sometimes make using a regular unplated bullet a problem. Ammo is usually the easiest issue to troubleshoot I would try there before doing anything too crazy. Keep me in the loop or DM me if you need some more advice. That’s just my 2 cents. I hope that helps.

Clemson

I would add that there is a plastic buffer that often needs replacement. Be sure to get the correct one. Midwest Gun Works sells them.