Buying a boat in South Carolina with no title...only bill of sale....getting registered in Georgia?

Bigtimber

I like the boat....but its in South Carolina with no title...only bill of sale would be possible. Im in Georgia and would need to register in Georgia.....anyone know what is the process or is this just a nightmare paperwork type deal to walk away from? Thanks.

paulito

i did it a number of years back and it wasn't that big of a deal with just a bill of sale. Of course this was for a boat that was only 16ft and no motor. Not sure if it would be harder with something big or not. would depend on the price tag and the age too for me. If this is an old boat and not setting you back a ton of money i'd roll the dice. Of course you could always call DNR ahead of time and get them to run the hull ID#

27metalman

What was said above is a good idea. The DNR will handle the boat side. For the trailer, you'll have to go to your local tag office. They will give you a form to fill out and then you'll have to go to the sheriff department so they can assign it a new VIN if it does not have one. You got a little mess to deal with, but it might be worth it.