Buying a Firearm from Gun Broker.com

dcharb

If you have experience buying a firearm from Gun Broker, I would appreciate hearing about your experience and the basics of how it works.

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

dcharb

ryanh487

I've bought a couple.

First off, before buying or bidding, read ALL the fine print on the auction page and pay attention to the sellers terms, conditions, shipping prices, etc. Some of them charge high shipping or insurance fees or have other sneaky conditions that you are committed to by winning the auction.

If it's out of state, or too far to drive and pick it up in person, you'll provide your FFL of choice's info. Several FFLs are saved in gun brokers system, so you'll probably just be able to select yours from the drop down list. Pay the vendor, choose the FFL you want the gun sent to, then notify your FFL by phone or email that you're having a transfer sent to them and provide your contact info so they can get in touch with you when the gun arrives. You go to the store, fill out a form 4473, dealer calls in the background check (or just makes a copy of your GWL if you have one), you pay the dealer their transfer fee, and take the gun home.

I used cherokee gun & pawn in Canton for my transfers, they charge no fee at all and it's completely free to do the transfer through them.

JeffinPTC

I've had two really bad experiences with GB. My one attempt as a seller, the buyer refused to pay because he didn't read the description and decided he didn't want the gun after he bought it. It was impossible to call GB and no one responded to email. I gave up and lost the transaction fee.
Last year I bought a P38 for my son represented as NAZI P38 BYF44 100% MATCHING BRING BACK.
After I bought it(I was the only bid, which should have been a red flag), my son questioned the markings and posted on P38 forum. Unanimous decision was that it was a East German rebuild, with drilled out markings and a postwar barrel. Again, it was impossible to contact GB other than email. The "resolution" was that I got banned for 6 months and he resold the gun without changing the info.
Bottom line is buy from a known dealer if you can. The A+ rating means nothing. Don't expect ANY help if you have a problem. All they want is your money.

BBB agrees
https://www.bbb.org/us/ga/kennesaw/profile/gun-dealers/gunbrokercom-0443-6004874

ryanh487

I do an advanced search for what I want, with no reserve auctions only selected and low starting prices. I put in my maximum bid and if I win I win. I picked up a beretta 21a in great condition with 2 mags for $50 less than any other one I could find anywhere else. I also picked up an LCP II for about $40 less than the market price at the time. Deals are there, depending on what you're looking for and how you look for it.

Palmetto State Armory is a great site to watch though. They do big sales and bundle deals for various guns almost daily. Picked up some really great deals from there as well.

Geezer Ray

I have bought several off of GB and so far never had a bad exprience. Like
ryanh487 said above read everything. Most of the time you can buy local as cheap or better when shipping and ffl cost are included. It can be done and get savings and it can be done and get shafted.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
People on gun broker act like they have a one in a million item, over price the starting bid and then don’t disclose all the obvious flaws.
No way am I buying a gun from there but nice to buy supplies that are cheap or discontinued. The few purchases I made were spot on. Stay away from the guy that states Buy Sell Trade.
It’s a convenience store rather than a decent deal more often than not.
I’m not max bidding on nothing and wait till the last 15 minute to place a bid.

Gator89

If you are an informed buyer, you can get good deals. I have yet to sell anything on GB.

As in all things, buyer beware!

jmoser

I have bought and sold many times on GB. Realize that you are really dealing with individuals; GB is just the forums to post their auctions. Pay attention to feedback ratings and read some seller reviews if possible - some sellers are major retailers and some are individuals. Sellers with zero or very few feedback ratings are to be treated with caution.

Feel free to request additional details or photos from the seller - their response may tell you volumes about whether or not you want to deal with them.

I've probaby purchased about 40 firearms online, likely more. I've purchased zero from GB. I have looked many times and made a few bids, but I'd much rather bid on GA (GunsAmerica) or GI (GunsInternational).

Typically I don't even mess with auctions, preferring a straight purchase at a set (negotiated) price. I do check the seller's rating as well, whenever possible. The added cost for shipping is disclosed in GA, but not necessarily on GI.

Brother David

Be careful also of buying new firearms . Many times the item isn't in stock and will ship directly from a Third Party . I have a friend who it took 3 weeks to get his order and to get it right . GB is no help .

35 Whelen

Bought and sold several on Gun Broker, never had a bad experience. Bought, sold, and traded more on theoutdoorstrader and like it much better, deal and meet with people local, no shipping, see item before buying or trading.

frankwright

Bought several new firearms with GB. Got good deals and everything was smooth as silk.
Check the sellers reputation, shipping costs and any credit card penalties.
There are good deals to be had if you are patient and no what to pay.
Buying used or from an individual adds some risks but many sucessful transaction go every single day.

Buckhead

Just bought a rifle on GB. Actually picking it up today from my FFL dealer. Good experience in past, just beware of details as others have pointed out.

I usually only go on GB when looking for hard to find, out of production, uncommon guns. If it doesn’t fit that category, I look locally. There is obviously some risk, however, my experience is generally positive.

KILLNTM

I've purchased probably a dozen guns off GB in the past. Always read the entire ad (fine print). Ask questions and request additional pics if necessary. I always look at the seller reviews and pay close attention to any patterns in the poor reviews. Large companies with several thousands sales may have an A+ rating but may also have a handful of F reviews. I read those reviews and see what they are all about. It may be that most have something to do with slow shipping or the gun was sold in house before the auction ended. Those type of things are somewhat typical with the larger companies/stores as they're dealing with a lot of transactions. The reviews that scare me are the ones where the item wasn't as described. That being said, I try to stick with new or new/old stock firearms. With used guns my "great condition" and yours may be two different things. I saw a Smith Shorty advertised a month or so ago, and it was said to be in "mint" condition. I could see in the pictures slight holster wear along the front edges. To me that isn't "mint". I really prefer to deal with individuals who have at least 20 sales and have an A or A+ rating. If a seller provides pictures from every conceivable angle and a detailed description, I obviously feel better about it than one who gives two or three far off pics and a one line description. The whole buying process is really the easy part, the hard part to me is making sure I end up with what I think I'm going to end up with. So far I've been pleased.