cabin location

mattb78

I agree that if you live up there full time they get used to it, but this sounds like a property he will only be staying at occasionally.

Deer notice change.

Stroker

Cabin with pond, you can enjoy and fish 24/7/365. You can watch deer 365 but the seasons only 3-4 months. Deer will get used to the cabin quickly, especially if you plant desirable landscape around it they can become a nuisance. Just had a large hosta wiped out right outside my bedroom window. Plant plenty of azaleas around the house, pond and in nearby woods, you'll have no problem seeing deer. I've got yard deer that I can walk or ride to within 30-40 yards of, day or night.

REA

thank you for all the feed back, really confirmed building towards the middle at good pond location. we are way off the road via shared really nice easment, and well and septic shouldnt be a problem rolling land 400 yards off altamaha river,lots of long leaf pine and wire grass , so should purk good, and in the long run alittle extra money for power now will be worth having home site were we want it ,,, thanks again everyone !!!

Jim Boyd

Deer notice everything and some people don’t have a clue how smart they are.

I would say reactive and wary but they are, IMHO, just this side of stupid.

Again, they are so predictable and they do the same thing,,,, over and over again - that 1/3 of them are killed every year.

When we can routinely go out with an arrow and kill them, I am not so sure they fall into the “smart” zone.

It is even WORSE for the males when the rut is full bore. They are are even more gullible.

Jim Boyd

thank you for all the feed back, really confirmed building towards the middle at good pond location. we are way off the road via shared really nice easment, and well and septic shouldnt be a problem rolling land 400 yards off altamaha river,lots of long leaf pine and wire grass , so should purk good, and in the long run alittle extra money for power now will be worth having home site were we want it ,,, thanks again everyone !!!

I love it!

sghoghunter

I would say reactive and wary but they are, IMHO, just this side of stupid.

Again, they are so predictable and they do the same thing,,,, over and over again - that 1/3 of them are killed every year.

When we can routinely go out with an arrow and kill them, I am not so sure they fall into the “smart” zone.

It is even WORSE for the males when the rut is full bore. They are are even more gullible.

I will agree to a certain point but luck plays way more of the 1/3 being killed than people out smarting them. I can watch my cell cameras at our lease all week while no one is there and the deer will have the same routine and pattern for seven days BUT when you open that gate and drive to camp that normal routine goes out the window.

Jim Boyd

I will agree to a certain point but luck plays way more of the 1/3 being killed than people out smarting them. I can watch my cell cameras at our lease all week while no one is there and the deer will have the same routine and pattern for seven days BUT when you open that gate and drive to camp that normal routine goes out the window.

I guess there is some amount of debate - and that is good and healthy.

Personally, I think we give them far more credit than they deserve.

Deer are not easily domesticated ( think zebra and rhinoceros vs cattle and horses) so they are flighty and high tempered but I am not sure I would apply cunning or calculated to them.

Plant a food plot and shoot them…. To me, it is basically that simple.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I guess there is some amount of debate - and that is good and healthy.

Personally, I think we give them far more credit than they deserve.

Deer are not easily domesticated ( think zebra and rhinoceros vs cattle and horses) so they are flighty and high tempered but I am not sure I would apply cunning or calculated to them.

Plant a food plot and shoot them…. To me, it is basically that simple.

Not to argue with you, Jim, but in reality, they are. Look at caribou for example.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
@REA, congratulations on your property!
Please update as yall work on it.

Jim Boyd

Not to argue with you, Jim, but in reality, they are. Look at caribou for example.

They are what, sir?

Easily domesticated?

I do not know caribou… but I see deer farms and have been around a few. In November, penned deer cannot be be trusted.

I do not think this is true for cows, pigs, goats, horses, dogs, sheep etc that have been domesticated over time.

What am I missing?

Jim Boyd

PS: I still think deer are not overly smart

Reactive? They are to a fault.

Wary? Absolutely.

Careful as they travel? No debate!

Smart enough to avoid fate? Naaah, I don’t think so.

Even old, slow jokers like me can kill them at 25 yards.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
They are what, sir?

Easily domesticated?

I do not know caribou… but I see deer farms and have been around a few. In November, penned deer cannot be be trusted.

I do not think this is true for cows, pigs, goats, horses, dogs, sheep etc that have been domesticated over time.

What am I missing?

Reindeer. They`ve been domesticated and used for thousands of years. Even Santa Claus has some. :)

Jim Boyd

Reindeer. They`ve been domesticated and used for thousands of years. Even Santa Claus has some. :)

I wish that joker would fly them by our place this December!

Although, we basically have no needs - at least Jo and I don’t.

I think we all live in the land of milk and honey and for that, I am thankful.

Sitting on the porch drinking coffee and the only thing disturbing the silence is a GANG of hummingbirds. Jokers are going crazy this morning.

IMG_5402.jpeg

Jim Boyd

I wonder too about whitetail and reindeer - maybe they are separated like horse and zebra?

One easily domesticated and one can never be.

I was an awful student but I think if we knew family, genus and species - that might shed some light.

Maybe.

If deee are generally smart, the ones in my neck of the woods were like me….. poor learners!!!!

Jim Boyd

@REA

Sorry for the derail, sir!

Let’s see some pics of your place!!!!

We are all super excited for you!