Caliper wars.....what's yer preference ?

Which type caliper is your primary choice for handloading ?

• Analog dial

• Digital

Results are only viewable after voting.

BriarPatch99

I have a good set of Fowler digital calipers and a Fowler micrometer...both are middle upper grade(not cheap but not the high $ brands) tools .... but both test out really well...
I grab a plastic set of Lyman calipers for just checking...if I need "more" ...I reach for the Fowlers.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I don't know what all hype hype is about.

I use both. I have Hornady (dial), RCBS (dial) Fowler (dial) and Craftsman (dial). I have Frankford Arsenal and some other brand of digital. They are so aggravating to me with the constant battery contact issues I don't use them that often. It may be the quality of the units I have. I do use my buddy's Starrett digital set when I am there and there is never an issue with them. They are not the $200 set you see most often that compare to Fowlers, they are a higher end unit....probably over $300 when he bought them.

I use a dial type in my work most days and they are a set of Craftsman that I have had for 35 years.

Calipers are only accurate to .001, if I remember right, in the first 4" and may be more accurate between 4-6". I wouldn't use them to measure neck wall thickness...I would use a ball end mic. You can't measure something curved accurately with a square device that only touches on the outside edge of the curve.

I am not sure I need more than .001 accuracy reloading.

I remember the first time I watched my buddy dial in one of my barrels. I thought that the 1 on the dial was .001 but it was .010 and what I was looking at were < .0001 readings

:type:

Last edited:

sleepr71

I hope this is a mis-type. If a set of calipers won't consistently read within .0002, they are junk IMHO. That is 2 ten thousandths. A set of calipers that won't consistently read within .001, or 1/1000 won't stay in my box. To a machinist, .001 is like a carpenter cutting to the nearest 1/2 inch. They deal with dimensions all day long that are +/- .0002, or less than 1/2 of a thousands total variance.

I guess it all boils down to how precise you want to be with your ammo. If factory equal loads are what you are after, yes, a $40 set of caliper will probably get you within .005 or so. If you are wanting to KNOW what the overall length, wall thickness of a case, or diameter of that cast bullet you just lubed and resized is, a $40 caliper just won't cut .

Yep…we agree. That’s why he said he only uses Starett. He does precision machine work…and only wants to do it ONCE. He doesn’t trust digital gauges,of any brand. He said Mitutoyu were fine to use out in the shop..tinkerin with cars/tractor parts & such. It was a gentle way of saying Mitutoyu was “sub par”..:)

rmp

A caliper that can discern .0002”? I guess I need to get out more. Here I am using micrometers for any precise measurements.

I’m an analog guy just because it’s what I’ve always used. Starrett, Mitutoyo, and Fowler. The Fowler has far more miles on it. Lots of positives on a quality digital for things like BTO or bumping without having to subtract the gauge. There is no wrong answer.

Dub

I appreciate everyone's input, insight and experience. (y)

I now have options.

1) I will test the inconsistent digital set again...after changing the battery...I think they actually came with a spare battery. Not hoping for much...but worth a try.

2) Will use the other digital set as needed.

3) I followed a tip and checked on a website that another reloader suggested:
Prices were competitive, as he said they'd been.
Registered there and was given a 15% off discount code.

* On Thursday afternoon I used the 15% off and ordered a set that I feel like I'll be comfortable with.

* Free shipping.

* Within two hours they emailed a tracking number.

* The next afternoon, they were delivered. To say I was surprised is an understatement. I was simply trying to get set up for midweek next week when I am next off work. Didn't expect overnight free shipping & 15% off an already good price.

Had never heard about this Zoro company....and never would have tried them without a trusted referral from another shooter.

IMG_9696.jpegIMG_9697.jpeg

I'll see how it goes next time I can get settled in at the bench.

rmp

isn't that just as the needle moves off the whole line almost half way to the center of the halfway mark between the 2 solid lines:huh:
Maybe so! :) More of an estimate I suppose.
Anything requiring that level of precision deserves a better tool. I’m familiar with calipers that have resolution to the .0005” but the accuracy is only good to the .001”

The 742’s above will serve a man well for many years.

Tight Lines

I have Starrett dial, and can still use them fine...have used digital in the past but my Starretts are great...looks like you have several options now!

Adam5

I started with digital because I struggled to read analog well. It’s now at the point that I don’t traky care.

I do prefer metal over plastic. It seems like I get a thousandth or two difference with the plastic ones due to the plastic flexing.

K80Shooter

Not about to go digital on calipers but, amazon has a pretty good deal on the Frankford Arsenal Platinum scales right now, 72.09 plus tax........ I caved and ordered me one. Maybe Dub needs one of those. :stir:

K80Shooter

I am good for now: oldschool beam, modern digital and some dippers.

All I need is time to use it :rofl:

I also have the old style beam scale but the devil on my shoulder keeps questioning it. lol.

trial&error

I have both, but prefer analog. I like to use the set screw and just check my sizing and trimming like a go/no-go gauge. digital turns off to save battery analog doesn't so I don't have to wonder if it shifted each time.

Stroker

I also have the old style beam scale but the devil on my shoulder keeps questioning it. lol.
A set of check weights will answer your question, I use mine to check both my beam and digital scales.

Stroker

Analog at home, digital at work.

Dub

A set of check weights will answer your question, I use mine to check both my beam and digital scales.

I picked up a set of small check weights (small enough that I can approximate typical 9mm & .45acp charge weights) and am mighty grateful for them.

Using them at the start of each session with either beam or digital scale. Handy as can be.

Believe they were made by Lyman ?

K80Shooter

The scale that I referenced above came with test weights.
Honestly, I had been wanting that scale for a while and the sale price made it the right time to get it.

Reactions: Dub